Page 189 of 220 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2193

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by denn1s-r View Post
    Thanks HarryHarryHarry! I do get this at boot up:

I don't know what it means, the device still boots though!
    No one knows what it means unless you look at the boot logs and see what kernel module failed to load.

Is this on Ubuntu or some other derivative? If not, please post in the ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS thread.

Please examine the following logs by saving the following to a text file:
    Code:
    $ journalctl -b > journalctl-b.txt
    and

Code:
    $ dmesg > dmesg.txt
    These will be saved in your /home directory. If you have trouble identifying the culprit, feel free to attach them here and we'll take a look.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yochanan View Post
    These will be saved in your /home directory. If you have trouble identifying the culprit, feel free to attach them here and we'll take a look.
    Ok thanks I'm a total noob! I'm learning Linux at school now.

I installed Ubuntu first then tried with lubuntu but I get the same. These are the ones I got from Lubuntu should I post them in the other topic or are Ubuntu variants ok here?
    I just want the most stable/light weight version for this laptop. I can reinstall Ubuntu too if there's better support!

dmesg.txt: https://pastebin.com/Afnu0bpr
    journalctl-b.txt: https://pastebin.com/HZmGnyd5

Beans

These are the ones I got from Lubuntu should I post them in the other topic or are Ubuntu variants ok here?

dmesg.txt: https://pastebin.com/Afnu0bpr
    journalctl-b.txt: https://pastebin.com/HZmGnyd5
    Yes, it's fine to post here about Lubuntu and other variants.

Code:
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'lp'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'ppdev'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'parport_pc'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Those are Parallel port printing drivers. This netbook of course does not have a parallel port, so you can ignore that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yochanan View Post
    Yes, it's fine to post here about Lubuntu and other variants.

Code:
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'lp'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'ppdev'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd-modules-load[397]: Failed to find module 'parport_pc'
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
    feb 19 21:11:21 dennis-X205TA systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Those are Parallel port printing drivers. This netbook of course does not have a parallel port, so you can ignore that.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

In Ubuntu the FN key was working (Volume up/down & Volume up/down) but in Lubuntu it's not working.

When I check with xev it doesn't register the FN key at all. I found a answer for a different Asus on an older version of Lubuntu (link) would this also be a solution for my model? Or can I copy a file/or string from ubuntu to make it work?

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply!

In Ubuntu the FN key was working (Volume up/down & Volume up/down) but in Lubuntu it's not working.

When I check with xev it doesn't register the FN key at all. I found a answer for a different Asus on an older version of Lubuntu (link) would this also be a solution for my model? Or can I copy a file/or string from ubuntu to make it work?
    I've only tried Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce on this netbook, so I'm not sure why the Fn keys wouldn't work in LXDE. You can try the scripts on the post you linked to, however @harryharryharry might have a better idea.

Beans

As for the printer-related modules failing to load on boot, they can be commented out in:
    /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf

The fn-keys not working in lxde could be as simple as a missing package (lxde is pretty barebones). I've just installed lxde alongside my current xfce setup on xubuntu 17.10.1, and the the volume control with fn-keys works for me under lxde. (I have a volume-applet in the lower righthand corner in lxde, maybe that's missing in your setup ?)

@sinistristradali
    You're right, it seems I was a little too hasty in attributing the keyboard/touchpad breaking on hibernation to the reverting of commits for deep suspend. I did some more investigating and I found that the keyboard and touchpad will break after hibernating UNLESS you have suspended the machine at least once after boot. Pretty weird, huh ?
    I'm having a hard time tracking down the cause of this behaviour. My google-fu has yielded little result as it's pretty hard to describe the behaviour in apt keywords; the searches turn up a lot of garbage...

When you said "the hibernating issue started when the clock-speed problem was solved" which clock-speed problem are you referring to? is it the freezing issue?; is this behaviour that only affects my kernel or stock kernels too ?
    Last edited by harryharryharry; February 21st, 2018 at 12:59 AM.
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    As for the printer-related modules failing to load on boot, they can be commented out in:
    /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf

The fn-keys not working in lxde could be as simple as a missing package (lxde is pretty barebones). I've just installed lxde alongside my current xfce setup on xubuntu 17.10.1, and the the volume control with fn-keys works for me under lxde. (I have a volume-applet in the lower righthand corner in lxde, maybe that's missing in your setup ?)

Ok that fixed the warning at boot up thank you!

The sound applet is there only the FN keys aren't working. Any idea which module this could be?

Beans

For me volume keys worked out of the box under lxde. I found on lxde's wiki that the volume keys are configured in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml :
    https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE:Questi...uttons_work.3F

It appears lxde is using amixer to change audio volume. For example to lower volume, the command is:
    amixer -c 0 set Master 5- unmute

You could test if this works from the terminal, that would narrow down what's going wrong. You could also (temporarily) install xfce to test if volume control works under xfce.
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    For me volume keys worked out of the box under lxde. I found on lxde's wiki that the volume keys are configured in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml :
    https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE:Questi...uttons_work.3F

It appears lxde is using amixer to change audio volume. For example to lower volume, the command is:
    amixer -c 0 set Master 5- unmute

You could test if this works from the terminal, that would narrow down what's going wrong. You could also (temporarily) install xfce to test if volume control works under xfce.
    I tried this: "amixer -c 0 set Master 5- unmute" This gave me the error: "amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0"

It works under XFCE, I read LXDE uses less resources and runs smoother. But after trying XFCE I think i'll just switch, I love the look and feel and I it seems to run smooth too! Plus I can't be bothered to figure out the keyboard stuff

Beans

But after trying XFCE I think i'll just switch, I love the look and feel and I it seems to run smooth too!
    I think that's a sensible choice. Not trying to bash lxde, but I think it's trading off a lot of features/looks to shave off those last few mb's of ram. I think lxde is more useful for (even) older hardware.

For what it's worth, I snooped around in the amixer help page and:
    amixer scontrols
    Gives the controls that are available. Master indeed isn't one of them, but Speaker and Headphone are. So the commands would be:
    amixer -c 0 set Speaker 5- unmute
    amixer -c 0 set Headphone 5- unmute

Strange though, I also got the "unable to find simple control" message for Master, but the volume control did work, maybe lxde is not only looking for controls in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

edit: If you don't mind a little rougher user experience and want to make xfce feel even snappier, you can turn off 'display compositing' in 'System Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks -> Compositor'
    Last edited by harryharryharry; May 2nd, 2018 at 10:31 AM.

Page 189 of 220 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast