Page 188 of 203 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2022

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    Hmm not exactly sure what that script tests, but I'll take a look at it when I'm home. Can you PM me the output of?:
    My output - rc6-sound26 and rc7-vannilla

Code:
    drak@x205ta:~$ uname -a
    Linux x205ta 4.15.0-rc6-sound-26 #3 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 7 18:53:37 CET 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    drak@x205ta:~$ sudo dmesg | grep "page tables"
    drak@x205ta:~$

drak@x205ta:~$ uname -a
    Linux x205ta 4.15.0-041500rc7-generic #201801072330 SMP Sun Jan 7 23:31:29 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    drak@x205ta:~$ sudo dmesg | grep "page table"
    [    0.000000] Kernel/User page tables isolation: enabled
    [    2.720961] x86/mm: Checking user space page tables
    drak@x205ta:~$

Output test script for rc6-sound26: https://pastebin.com/mfMagbfx
    Output test script for rc7-vanilla: https://pastebin.com/gbMTpATq

Maybe rc6 (released on 2017) not fixed meltdown correctly?

Beans

Updated my kernel to rev. 27 which is patched for microphone support!

As for the meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities: PTI is enabled by default so the kernel should be protected against meltdown, to my knowledge there are no patches against spectre in the upstream kernel yet. If anyone has knowledge of any working patches floating around the internets, let me know and I'll try to incorporate them into the next build.

Edit: just found some newly added Spectre patches to the upstream kernel. I'll try to see if I can incorporate them into my kernel. In the meantime: this site suggests upgrading firefox to >=57.0.4-1 and upgrading intel-microcode (the most recent version I could find was from debian sid). The latter did nothing to improve the outcome of the spectre-meltdown-checker.sh script roman-mm linked to though.
    Last edited by harryharryharry; January 11th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Prebuilt kernel with sound support for X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

Question Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Thanks again for your amazing work on this community harry.
    Imma try the new mic patch asap.

May I ask you one more thing?
    I managed to set up arch the way I want it to be with lxde, and now there is one last thing I can't managed to get working: BLUETOOTH after resume.
    I know this is not vital yet, I sometime use a bluetooth speaker.
    I am trying to reiterate a similar script to the one for wifi and yet I am not able to get the proper module to be rmmod.
    It should be hci_uart but I cant remove it because it says "Module hci_uart is in use".
    Does someone have any advice? I'd like to remove the module for bluetooth and load it back when the resume is over.
    Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Arch Linux support forums are at https://bbs.archlinux.org/

Please confine your support questions here to Ubuntu and its immediate derivatives. Thanks.

Beans

Actually I am quite convinced this is a general linux question. Btw I have currently switch back to ubuntu and the problem is the same, I can't understand which module I am supposed to remove.

Beans

Hi, I noticed something wonky with versions 26 and 27 of your kernel—the system doesn't recognize the keyboard until later in the boot process, so if you need to enter a password for an encrypted partition you have to attach an external keyboard to continue. (The keyboard works with GRUB though.)

Version 24 works, though. (I skipped version 25 apparently…)
    Asus EeeBook X205TA · elementary OS 0.4.1 · 4.12*

Beans

Yep, I moved CONFIG_I2C_HID and CONFIG_I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM from being built into the kernel to being modular, because they break keyboard and touchpad on resume from hibernation if they are builtin. Would've been good to have that info in the changelog (I've added it now).

You can still have those modules (i2c_designware_platform & i2c_hid) at boot time if you build them into the initramfs, by adding them to (and then rebuilding the initramfs):
    Ubuntu: /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    Fedora: /etc/dracut.conf
    Arch: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Prebuilt kernel with sound support for X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

New 4.15 stable release is out, so I compiled a new revision of my kernel. This revision (28) is compiled with a retpoline aware version of gcc, which means the kernel - besides the meltdown vulnerability - now also mitigates the spectre_v2 vulnerability. I have not yet found a mitigation for spectre_v1.

There are several commits I have been reverting since v4.14-rc7 to achieve a suspend state where the power led goes off. Up to now it was merely a hunch on my part that the laptop was more power-efficient this way. It appears that my hunch was correct, I found a debug sleep_state file:
    /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_atom/sleep_state
    which shows the laptop stays in S0 state (instead of the more power-efficient S0I3 state) during a suspend where the power led stays on.

The reverting of commits to achieve this S0I3 suspend state has become more and more elaborate with recent kernel releases. The latest setback involves a breaking of i2c_designware_core (the module which facilitates the keyboard and touchpad) on hibernation. The bottom line is that I needed to choose between a more power-efficient suspend state or a working keyboard/touchpad after hibernation. I opted for power-efficient suspend because I don't really use hibernation. If you want to use hibernation instead of a more power-efficient suspend state, you should compile a kernel without reverting these commits. I'll update my kernel compilation guide soon.
    I've created a new bugtracker to raise kernel maintainers' awareness to this bug:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198631
    Hopefully this will lead towards a fix for this issue soon.
    Last edited by harryharryharry; February 1st, 2018 at 03:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    New 4.15 stable release is out, so I compiled a new revision of <a href="https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254322&amp;page=132&amp;p=135955 04#post13595504" target="_blank">my kernel</a>. This revision (28) is compiled with a retpoline aware version of gcc, which means the kernel - besides the meltdown vulnerability - now also mitigates the spectre_v2 vulnerability. I have not yet found a mitigation for spectre_v1.<br>
    <br>
    There are several commits I have been reverting since v4.14-rc7 to achieve a suspend state where the power led goes off. Up to now it was merely a hunch on my part that the laptop was more power-efficient this way. It appears that my hunch was correct, I found a debug sleep_state file:<br>
    /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_atom/sleep_state<br>
    which shows the laptop stays in S0 state (instead of the more power-efficient S0I3 state) during a suspend where the power led stays on.<br>
    <br>
    The reverting of commits to achieve this S0I3 suspend state has become more and more elaborate with recent kernel releases. The latest setback involves a breaking of i2c_designware_core (the module which facilitates the keyboard and touchpad) on hibernation. The bottom line is that I needed to choose between a more power-efficient suspend state or a working keyboard/touchpad after hibernation. I opted for power-efficient suspend because I don't really use hibernation. If you want to use hibernation instead of a more power-efficient suspend state, you should compile a kernel without reverting these commits. I'll update my <a href="https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254322&amp;page=158&amp;p=136251 63#post13625163" target="_blank">kernel compilation</a> guide soon.<br>
    I've created a new bugtracker to raise kernel maintainers' awareness to this bug:<br>
    <a href="https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198631" target="_blank">https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198631</a><br>
    Hopefully this will lead towards a fix for this issue soon.
    <br>
    <br>From when it stopped having that clock-speed problem, hibernation never worked without breaking keyboard, mouse AND audio lol. Anyway, thank you for the awesome work.

Beans

Thanks HarryHarryHarry! I do get this at boot up:
    [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
    I don't know what it means, the device still boots though!

Page 188 of 203 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast