Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2193

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Re-opened.

If you would like to discuss support for other OSes, please start threads in appropriate sub-forums in https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=446
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan_Strike View Post
    harryharryharry, I have a problem with your script. More specifically, the kernel.

I tried for hours trying to get wine to work properly with 32-bit programs (64-bit programs work fine), only to find that I could run them just fine on the stock, unmodified kernel. I would appreciate it if you looked into why wine and CrossFire don't work properly. I think it might be a conflicting problem with the 32-bit libraries being missing or not working properly. I've gotten wine to work on ubuntu before on this laptop just fine, but whenever I use your script, wine just kicks the bucket.
    You must add support in config CONFIG_A32_EMULATION https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IA32_EMULATION.html
    "Include code to run legacy 32-bit programs under a 64-bit kernel. You should likely turn this on, unless you're 100% sure that you don't have any 32-bit programs left."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since this is the second time that people have conducted off-topic conversations in this thread in about a week, I've closed the thread. If there is anyone who needs to talk about Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu, they can ask for the thread to be reopened in the Resolution Centre. Repeat: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu (or the official Ubuntu flavours). Not Elementary OS. Not Antergos. Not Manjaro. Not scripts for automatic upgrades of kernels.

And if a member of forum staff asks a question of a particular poster, it is only good manners, and common sense, to reply.

Thread reopened. I've removed some off-topic posts.

Please be advised. Posts that are not about Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu, or one of the official Ubuntu flavours, will be removed from public view and it is unlikely that the poster will be notified of the move.
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 4th, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thread forked here per moderator request: ASUS X205TA hardware support for any other OS

EDIT: Fixed the link.
    Last edited by Yochanan; December 8th, 2017 at 04:36 AM.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

I've posted a distro-agnostic installation guide over in the new thread to get things started

Beans

HarryHarryHarry,

Many thanks for the precompiled kernel - I tried following your instructions (from Aug. 30) for using a generic kernel (I tried 14.0 and 14.16) and adding various settings to get sound and bluetooth, but was not successful in getting either to work - don't know why. But I downloaded and installed your precompiled kernel, and glory be - there they both are!! Many, many thanks!

Beans

For sound to work you need to make sure that /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/HiFi.conf is the same file as the file hosted on github by Pierre Bossart. To get sound working on an unpatched kernel (>=4.13) you also need to make sure certain modules are blacklisted and others loaded with specific quirks (see step 4. in this guide - specifically creating the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-x205ta.conf)

How to gain bluetooth connectivity is also described in the same guide, in step 3.
    Last edited by harryharryharry; December 14th, 2017 at 05:10 PM.

Beans

This is great news! I purchased this device specifically with putting ubuntu on it. Was worried that I would have to stick with windows 8.1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    For sound to work you need to make sure that /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/HiFi.conf is the same file as the file hosted on github by Pierre Bossart. To get sound working on an unpatched kernel (>=4.13) you also need to make sure certain modules are blacklisted and others loaded with specific quirks (see step 4. in this guide - specifically creating the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-x205ta.conf)

How to gain bluetooth connectivity is also described in the same guide, in step 3.
    Yep, that's the same instructions that I followed, without success. The only difference was that the instructions in your August 30th post did not mention the possibility of using tty4 instead of tty1, so I missed trying that. But I created the quirks and blacklists, downloaded Pierre's files, etc., all with no success. I should note that I was trying to update an installation that I have been using for quite some time, so perhaps it would have made a difference if I had started fresh.

On the other hand, when I installed your pre-built kernel, voila - all is working! The only issue I've encountered is, after several hours of use, the screen started blanking off and on at about a 1Hz cycle. I've not been able to recreate this event, so hopefully it was an isolated or at least unusual issue ...

Beans

Hmm then I think it should be in the config. Now that you mention this I seem to remember I had to reenable the bluetooth module recently. You could check if the broadcom bluetooth module is enabled in the config you are using. What does this command:
    Code:
    grep CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_BCM .config
    give you ?

Scratch that, I thought you were compiling a kernel. If you're using a mainline kernel (4.14.0 and 4.14.6 you tried I think ?) and you are having bluetooth issues where my kernel works, I think you need to check if the services responsible for bluetooth tell if something is wrong while running the mainline kernel:
    systemctl status bluetooth
    systemctl status btattach

and maybe do some digging in dmesg:
    dmesg|grep -i "bt\|bluetooth"
    Last edited by harryharryharry; December 16th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.

Page 185 of 220 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast