Page 184 of 220 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2193

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

I was reinstalling my home server, but I'm up and running again! Some outages are to be expected the following days due to possible restarts for tweaking. If this happens you might want to check back in a few minutes/hours. Please send me a PM if you think somethings not functioning properly (could be I'm overlooking something after my reinstall).

Gr Harry
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

harryharryharry, I have a problem with your script. More specifically, the kernel.

I tried for hours trying to get wine to work properly with 32-bit programs (64-bit programs work fine), only to find that I could run them just fine on the stock, unmodified kernel. I would appreciate it if you looked into why wine and CrossFire don't work properly. I think it might be a conflicting problem with the 32-bit libraries being missing or not working properly. I've gotten wine to work on ubuntu before on this laptop just fine, but whenever I use your script, wine just kicks the bucket.

Beans

Hello, first post there after reading tons of comments and really thankful that this machine is still used by such people.
    Unluckyly, I have two problems:
    1. Trying to use harryharry's script, it says "[FAIL] Can't determine iso architecture, please set it manually" ISO NOT CREATED. I even tried using an ISO downloaded directly from the ftp, mounting with unetbootin in my USB and tried to install: the Live-CD works, but after installing without error (With internet updates), it restart and it doesn't boot, the UEFI appears. Are the ISO on the FTP not already fixed with the bootia32.efi?
    2. About the bootia32.efi : my first was using another distro (Arch) and following his wiky, I tried to compile my own bootia32.efi but it didn't work (even tried downloading the same one that someone posted there, this one: https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asu...t/bootia32.efi , but grub command line showed up when used. Is there a bootia32.efi I can put in the BOOT directory, universally working, or every distro need some change?
    Thanks in advance for the reply
    EDIT: I missed that "sudo /root/install-grub.sh" part, did it before installation and now everything works. I have a question: wanting to try other distros (Arch / Antergos), can I do the same? Copying that bootia32.efi in the folder, using rufus in a USB, install that ISO, and if grub doesn't work (probably), use a lubuntu (for example) LIVE-USB and updating Grub with "sudo /root/install-grub.sh" (or adding those parameters you suggest in that README)?
    Last edited by lucamilano; November 16th, 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Beans

@lucamilano
    The bootia32.efi file is only meant to make the usbstick bootable (if you place it in /efi/boot on the usbstick, it will boot the stick from a grub.cfg file placed in /boot/grub on the usbstick).

Most linux distros (every distro except ubuntu) are still unable to make their installation bootable on the x205ta: They try (and fail) to install a 64bit efi-bootloader while the efi-bootloader on the x205ta is actually 32bit (this confusion probably stems from the cpu being 64bit capable).
    (btw.: This failure can crash the installer program of the distro, if this happens users are most likely not created which makes it very hard to make the installation bootable afterwards. In this case it is better to reinstall and if possible disable the installation of grub completely).

If the installation successfully finishes but rebooting drops you to the bios, grub was not successfully installed and you need to reboot into the liveusb and manually install grub. I've put a script on every liveusb which may help you, follow my instructions from the README to use it.

If the script I reference to in my README does not exist or does not install grub successfully, you can of course try to chroot into the linux installation and install grub manually. This basically goes like this:
    Code:

#run blkid to see which partition holds the rootfs
    sudo mount /dev/rootfspartition /mnt
    cd /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /proc proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys sys
    sudo mount --bind /dev dev
    sudo mount --bind /dev/pts dev/pts
    sudo chroot .
    #then from within the chroot environment
    mount -a
    modprobe efivarfs
    mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
    grub-install --target=i386-efi --bootloader-id=Linux --efi-directory=/boot/efi --recheck  ## some distros use grub2-install
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg      ## some distros use grub2-mkconfig; sometimes the grub configfile is located at /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    exit
    #then outside the chroot environment, reboot:
    sudo reboot
    Last edited by harryharryharry; July 20th, 2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: changed url: ftp to http
    Script to create bootable usb-stick for the X205TA. Guide to compile a kernel for the X205TA. Guides to install linux to X205TA: general or ubuntu

Beans

@harryharryharry

Last night sound worked. When I booted up today, I had no sound. I checked pavucontrol and the port showed Speakers (unplugged) and Headphones (plugged in). I plugged in wired headphones as well as my BlueTooth headset and still had no sound. The only thing that changed were two batches of Manjaro updates from 17.06 to 17.1pre2, but I had rebooted since they were installed and had sound. Any ideas what I can check?

EDIT: With PulseEffects installed, I can sometimes get BlueTooth sound to work.
    Last edited by Yochanan; November 21st, 2017 at 02:10 AM.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans

Possibly the manjaro updates have overwritten the UCM files from Pierre Bossart's github which my kernel includes. They are located at:
    /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/
    Try to md5sum the files in this directory to the ones at Pierre's github, if the md5sums don't match that's most likely the issue. You can then replace the versions in /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/ with the versions on Pierre's github.

Especially HiFi.conf is crucial, everytime your distro's package manager decides to overwrite this file you will lose sound. Luckily most package managers have the option to hold back certain packages/files during upgrades. With Arch (& Manjaro) according to the pacman.conf man page this can be accomplished by adding either
    IgnorePkg=alsa-lib
    or
    NoUpgrade=/usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/HiFi.conf

to /etc/pacman.conf (although I have not tested this).
    Last edited by harryharryharry; November 21st, 2017 at 11:59 AM.

Beans

Could you please check the antergos iso?
    Unfortunately it doesn't boot with the custom kernel and with the original one it stucks on the loading.
    I've tried both isos.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Let's please remember that this is the Ubuntu Forums and the subject of this thread is about Ubuntu. This thread has been hijacked to discuss a lot of other OSes/distros.

If you would like to discuss support for other OSes, please use one of the specialized sub-forums we provide.

This one is for Ubuntu Official Flavors support.

Thanks.
    Last edited by QIII; November 22nd, 2017 at 02:30 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harryharryharry View Post
    Possibly the manjaro updates have overwritten the UCM files from Pierre Bossart's github which my kernel includes. They are located at:
    /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/
    Try to md5sum the files in this directory to the ones at Pierre's github, if the md5sums don't match that's most likely the issue. You can then replace the versions in /usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/ with the versions on Pierre's github.

Especially HiFi.conf is crucial, everytime your distro's package manager decides to overwrite this file you will lose sound. Luckily most package managers have the option to hold back certain packages/files during upgrades. With Arch (& Manjaro) according to the pacman.conf man page this can be accomplished by adding either
    IgnorePkg=alsa-lib
    or
    NoUpgrade=/usr/share/alsa/ucm/chtrt5645/HiFi.conf

to /etc/pacman.conf (although I have not tested this).
    Yep, that was it. I checked the pacman.log and alsa-lib was indeed updated. I tried replacing both those files as you suggested, but there was no change. Would you recommend downgrading alsa-lib? It has quite a few dependencies, so I'm not sure that's the best idea. I'd prefer not to do a clean install, but I might so I can set the NoUpgrade option right away and not worry about it again.

EDIT: I just reinstalled your kernel and sound is working. Any idea why that worked but replacing the two UCM files from Pierre's GitHub didn't?
    Last edited by Yochanan; November 22nd, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
    ASUS Eee Book X205TA | OS: Manjaro Linux Xfce | Kernel: 5.8.X-X-MANJARO

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Once more:

This is the Ubuntu Forums, this is a sub-forum for Ubuntu Official Flavors Support and the original title of the thread is "Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu"

Manjaro is not Ubuntu. Antergos is not Ubuntu.

Now, to make sure everyone can get back on topic I'm going to close this thread for 24 hours to give everyone time to consider this.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 184 of 220 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast