Page 213 of 222 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2211

Thread: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Asus X205TA hardware support in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by egorov-sand View Post
    One question: is it intentionally done so, that any iso's doesn't include i386-efi? So I can't install grub correctly! Install-grub shows "target doesn't specified". So I'm bored to death and still can't obtain Linux on my x205ta. Help!
    Welcome to our nightmare with this X205TA
    If I begin to install Linux on this computer for my daughter... I know that I will become creasy...
    Good luck.
    Please egorov, if you install Linux on this computer, and if all thing work correctly (WIFI, Bluetooth, touchpad, Freeze, speakers or headphones...) , so please, inform me !
    I am interested by Lubuntu, Xubuntu, LinuxMint.
    Many thanks.

Beans

Hi All,

I recently installed ubuntu 19.10. Mostly everything worked great out of the gate including sound. The one thing that didn't work was the headphone jack. I installed a kernel from this site and pulseaudio but after installing the kernel, chromium won't open and my battery indicator is missing. I've tried uninstalling using sudo ap-get remove kernel-5.3.7-sound-43.tar.xz and kernel-sound-64bit.tar and sound-kernel.sh but it says its unable to find/locate the package. I've also tried and uninstalling and reinstalling chromium but it still wont open and I've gotten this message"

"[5549:5549:1208/014329.615106:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /snap/chromium/958/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)"

So I figure i need to remove the kernel I'm just unsure of how to do it. I can reinstall ubuntu but I'd rather leave that as a last resort and at this point i don't care if i cant plug in headphones, I'd rather have the other 2 work. Thanks for your help!

Beans

The linked topic with the custom kernel is old by now. You don't need to install any custom kernel to get a working headphone jack on Ubuntu 19.10. The only thing that I needed to do was to create the one-liner configuration file mentioned here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_x205ta#Sound (I rebooted afterwards.)

But the headphones have a strong background noise, you can even hear the cursor movements for some reason.

Has anyone found a solution to get clear audio on headphones? (It works on Windows.)
    Last edited by onthewayout; December 8th, 2019 at 08:43 PM.

Beans

I tried to install Fedora (XFCE) it was impossible! When I tried to make an image with Harry's script it would fail. When I downloaded the image from Harry's FTP server it wouldn't install, I'd just get a bunch of errors...
    Installing the official untouched XFCE Fedora image worked, but then I would get a black display after selecting Grub.

So I reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch from the image of Harry's FTP server. It's amazing this 5 year old crappy laptop I bought for €150 for traveling still performs this well for normal tasks like web-browsing text-editing...
    I themed it to look like MacOS Mojave now it's not only awesome but looks amazing too! It's like the little sibling of my main machine.

Thanks Harry for the new Kernel and prepped 19.04 image!

Last edited by denn1s-r; December 20th, 2019 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Hello denn1s-r
    Is sound , Wifi, Bluetooth, headphones... work correctly with this Xubuntu of Harry ?
    If all work, so I will try to install this Xubuntu on the X205TA of my daughter.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Bye

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karibou1312 View Post
    Hello denn1s-r
    Is sound , Wifi, Bluetooth, headphones... work correctly with this Xubuntu of Harry ?
    If all work, so I will try to install this Xubuntu on the X205TA of my daughter.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Bye
    Yes everything works! Sound is set to headphone jack by default though, so if you wan't sound through the speakers you have to change it after each reboot.
    Maybe it can be changed to set speakers as default but I couldn't figure out how. Everything works perfectly though!

Beans

Thanks a lot for your answer denn1s-r !
    I am beginner with Linux...
    So I am little afraid by this Linux installation on the computer of my daughter. Because of the big problems on X205TA
    Now, if all items are OK, so I will try this installation !
    Many thanks

Beans

You're welcome! I'm a "beginner" with Linux too. I did turn my main laptop into a Hackintosh machine, I learned a lot of command-line and unix-filesystem from that!
    I got into the habit of making a Clonezilla image after configuring my laptop, that way I can break everything as much as a want!

Setting the default audio device on boot was easy though!

After chaning the output device in the gui, you can see the active device in terminal:
    pacmd list | grep "active"
    You can test changing the device with this command:
    pacmd set-sink-port 0 [Out] Speaker
    If that works just add the line:
    set-sink-port 0 [Out] Speaker
    to /etc/pulse/default.pa

Now really everything works perfectly! Haven't had any problems with waking the laptop as I had before. I'm a happy man!
    Last edited by denn1s-r; December 26th, 2019 at 02:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by denn1s-r View Post
    I tried to install Fedora (XFCE) it was impossible! When I tried to make an image with Harry's script it would fail. When I downloaded the image from Harry's FTP server it wouldn't install, I'd just get a bunch of errors...
    Installing the official untouched XFCE Fedora image worked, but then I would get a black display after selecting Grub.

So I reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch from the image of Harry's FTP server. It's amazing this 5 year old crappy laptop I bought for €150 for traveling still performs this well for normal tasks like web-browsing text-editing...
    I themed it to look like MacOS Mojave now it's not only awesome but looks amazing too! It's like the little sibling of my main machine.

Thanks Harry for the new Kernel and prepped 19.04 image!

Are you using the mainline kernel or harry's 5.3.7 custom kernel?
    And I am right that you have no freezes whatsoever?

My x205ta is very unstable at the moment. So I am considering a complete re-install. I use Ubuntu on my laptop normally but I am considering Xubuntu for de X205 and give it a try

Beans

Yeah I see it on your screenshot now, you are on harrys kernel...

Page 213 of 222 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215 ... LastLast