Thread: Updating Python on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Updating Python on Ubuntu?

I want to teach myself python and just recently started using Ubuntu as my main OS recently.

I just found out that Ubuntu has Python pre-installed on some level because it is largely coded in Python. However, as a result, this apparently makes it a special exception when it comes to updating, given that Python 2.7(the current version my pc has) is much different from Python 3.4.

So my question is as follows: Is it possible to install Python 3.4 seperately, and then use that version of Python in a compiler of my choice (Preferably Pycharm)?

If so, how could I do it?

Thank you all for your time, I'm really new to this.
    Last edited by baudrillard; November 26th, 2014 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Updating Python on Ubuntu?

Update:

I managed to figure out how to install (I believe) python 3.4.1, but I have no clue how to specifically access it, or make it show in unity search. What I did was follow the directions in the extracted files (obvious, I know), but I'm still kind of left clueless as to how I use this version of python over the preinstalled version, and then how do I tell pycharm to use it?

Beans

What Ubuntu version are you using?

Typically Python 2.xand Python 3.y can coexist, with the latter being invoked explicitly as "python3". On Ubuntu 14.04 the default version of "python3" should already be 3.4 I think - there should be no need to manually install anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04, and yeah, I'm starting to catch onto that. I realized I can evoke Python3 by just typing that out in terminal, which will give me access to it rather than the python the system was coded in.

Lol, I hope installing python 3.4.1 won't mess anything up then.

Any idea how to make sure that's the python version I use for a compiler tho? I'm still confused in regards to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Also, if anyone knows how to install pycharm in of itself, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. No apt-get I've tried works so far, and I don't know how to run the shell files provided in the tar.gz file from the official website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Answered my own problem. For anyone who wants to know how to install Pycharm on Ubuntu 14.04, go here.

Additionally, using Pycharm, you're capable of choosing which version of Python to use with the compiler, so you're free to install python 3.4.1 and still be able to use Python 2.7, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can open the Python 3 by typing this into your Terminal -

Code:
    python3
    * without any space

If you want to use Python 3 Interpreter (text-editor like, but rich features and simple)

Open Ubuntu Software Center > Type Python 3 > Install > Done.

or If you want use Python IDE (contain everythig you need, apparently)

Open Ubuntu Software Center > Type Ninja IDE > Install >Done.

** Type this into your Python Interpreter"

Code:
    print ("Welcome to the forum\r\nThanks for choosing Ubuntu!")