Thread: How to send a command from a console to another console

Beans

Exclamation How to send a command from a console to another console

Dear all,
    I have installed Ubuntu onto an old computer of mine and it gave me the idea of using it to run a few scripts to do some mundane tasks. And obviously, as it is a very old computer, I thought that I would remove the GUI and use it with a 'pure' console (pressing ctrl, alt + f1) and having two 'pure' consoles running, one for sending the commands and one for initialising them. My question is, how would I send that command into the other console without user input?

Thanks in advance

Kalinco

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to send a command from a console to another console

Do you want to run commands from one computer into another computer? - ssh - see
    Code:
    man ssh
    and this link to install an ssh server into one of the computers

Do you want to use it for a simple chat? - write - see
    Code:
    man write
    (you can use ssh for the communication, you should be logged into the same server)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SS...SH/Configuring
    Last edited by sudodus; November 23rd, 2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: made the tips more clear

Beans

No, two consoles on the same computer - one accessed by ctrl, alt + f1 and the other by ctrl, alt + f2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

one for sending the commands and one for initialising them. My question is, how would I send that command into the other console without user input?
    I'm curios though. What application would require this? when you input the command, it will run and initialize right there on your screen, why need it to be in the other console?

Maybe when we can understand you situation we can offer an accurate/more fitting answer.

Beans

I am intending to use it as a basic and private minecraft server, one console would start the server, the other would run it. This way I can stop the server safely pre computer shut-down by sending the stop command into the other console.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

tmux

You can send output from one program in one tty to show in another tty. For example, if you are in tty1, you could send output to tty2 like this:

Code:
    date > /dev/tty2
    That will show the output of the program "date" in tty2, but it will only show it, you won't be able to re-use it that I know of.

If you are working with the console or via ssh, you will find a terminal multiplexer very, very useful. tmux is pre-installed on the server distro and can be added easily to any former desktop. So if I have one instance of tmux running with 4 panes, I can run "ls" in the 4th pane from one of the others like this:

Code:
     tmux send-keys -t 4 ls C-m
    (the -t 4 says target the 4th pane, the C-m tells tmux to generate a return character for you after entering "ls".)
    It's also possible to copy and paste text between panes.

See one of the numerous tmux tutorials to get started or ask questions here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Still unsure of what the difference between start and run as I don't use minecraft.
    But if you need multiple consoles or virtual console screens and doesn't want to leave you current terminal you might want to look at screen. I see so many post about minecraft starting applications and then they want it to keep running on the background, close the terminal, open a new the terminal and be able to get back to the running process.

It's all about using screen:
    http://www.tecmint.com/screen-comman...nux-terminals/

If you are a video guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQE4VXkh_I

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinco View Post
    I am intending to use it as a basic and private minecraft server, one console would start the server, the other would run it. This way I can stop the server safely pre computer shut-down by sending the stop command into the other console.
    You definitely want tmux (or screen) for this. If you launch tmux and then run minecraft or minetest within tmux, then your server stays available in one pane. Then you can disconnect or log out and the game will stay running. Then you can log in and view that pane whenever you want to check status or issue game server commands, and then log out again without disrupting the minecraft or minetest server.

Beans

Thanks for your help guys - I will take a look at tmux and screen