I installed Kubuntu onto a 32 Gb flash drive. I used these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In.../UEFI-and-BIOS I just want it to boot on my UEFI computer (Surface Pro 2) so did just the first part for UEFI. Grub is installed on the flash, as was selected during installation, BUT when I try to boot Windows without the flash drive I get a grub recovery(?) screen. When I boot with the flash drive I get grub with the choice to boot Windows or Kubuntu (both boot and run fine.) Looks like the Boot Repair changed the Windows boot sector to point to grub on the flash. I do not want booting Windows on the computer to be dependent on the flash drive! I THINK that if I follow instructions to fix the boot sector on the Surface, then it'll boot normally without the flash drive and boot from the flash drive when it is in place. Does anyone have any experience to confirm this or do I have to just try it? My concern is that the flash drive might not boot after that? I could use a suggestion as to the best way to recover the Windows boot sector too.