Thread: 14.04: Hotspot works for 2.4Ghz, not 5Ghz

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question 14.04: Hotspot works for 2.4Ghz, not 5Ghz

I followed this set of instructions:
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...d-ubuntu-1404/

to set up infrastructure and access-point hotspot capability in Ubuntu 14.04.

The interesting part is that the hotspot function is working for 802.11g but not 802.11a.

I'm finding the same issue in Lubuntu 14.04, too.

I've attached the outputs of iw list, iwconfig and lspci as well as syslog as a LibreOffice document if you're interested.

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MoebusNet; November 16th, 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: wireless info
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 14.04: Hotspot works for 2.4Ghz, not 5Ghz

Since this functionality is part of Kubuntu, can anyone check whether the Hotspot function works or doesn't for the 5Ghz band?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 14.04: Hotspot works for 2.4Ghz, not 5Ghz

OK, finally got a chance to check - did a Live-USB of Kubuntu 14.10. Hotspot 'Access Point' function works on 'Auto' and '2.4Ghz' frequency band selections, but not on '5Ghz' frequency band selection. 'Auto' always uses 2.4 Ghz. The '5Ghz' selection always fails at 'Configuring name_of_network' whenever you try to select it. I gues the next step is to see if anyone filed a bug on this; 5Ghz Hotspot networking has worked for me in the past, although it was 'ad-hoc' not 'Access Point'.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.