Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will boot from DVD but wont open Install

Beans

Will boot from DVD but wont open Install

Hello Ubuntu Forums, I am relatively inexperienced with Ubuntu but I want to change that! I have two HDDs in my computer and have cleared off my second to put Ubuntu on and run my system in duel boot. Tech Preview of Windows 10 is on my 1TB and Ubuntu will go on my 500 gig. I downloaded the image from Ubuntu and burned it onto my DVD. Opened the files on the disk to make sure that it burned correctly and it did.

Restarted my computer, booted from the DVD. I see a standard Ubuntu screen with a purpleish background and a man icon at the bottom, but then it goes a way and it appears my monitor loses signal for a second. Then the screen is black with a flashing command line in the top left corner. The line becomes solid and smaller and then stops flashing. I am unable to do anything during this process but turn off my computer and boot into Windows.

At first I thought it was a bad image or something became corrupted so I tried it again on a new DVD and the same thing happened. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Will boot from DVD but wont open Install

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

I suspect you have problems with the graphics, that the graphics driver does not work. Please specify your graphics chip/card.

But it could be something else too. Did you check the iso file with md5sum - See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

The graphics problem might be fixed with a boot option, start with nomodeset

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

You might also have problems due to the wifi, that the wifi driver does not work. Please specify your wifi chip/card.

There are more tips about booting from USB at the following link and links from it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

have cleared off my second to put Ubuntu on and run my system in duel boot
    Be aware that by default, Ubuntu will install GRUB to the "first" drive, in this case, your Win10TP drive.

To prevent that, do the following:
    1) have the Win10TP drive disconnected when you install Ubuntu
    2) reconnect the Win10TP drive after the Ubuntu install is done and Ubuntu is working
    3) Boot into Ubuntu, open a terminal and enter "sudo update-grub". This will regenerate the GRUB configuration file and should add an entry for Windows, such that when you reboot, you will get a GRUB OS selection menu.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately my wife is pulling me out the door at the moment but I will try these when I get home. My video card is AMD Radeon 7770. CPU is i5 3570K on a ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 for my mobo. Thanks again. Will give you guys an update tonight.

Beans

OK so I opened up the md5sum.txt file in Notepad, I assume the Hash is the list of 31 characters at the start of the text. What is showing on the Notepad is not on the list on the link provided by @sudodus. Is this the cause of the issue?

Beans
    Hidden!

It is quite likely the problem (or one of the problems). For example

Code:
    md5sum ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
    should give the output

Code:
    119cb63b48c9a18f31f417f09655efbd  ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
    If it does not, download the file again until it matches the checksum, or use a torrent. The torrent method has a built-in check of the md5sum, which is good if the internet connection is flaky.

Beans

So I downloaded the torrent and also tried again through the website. Each time it gives me the md5sum of cde56251d6cae5214227d887dee3bab7. Am I looking in the wrong location? What's going on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Kehlan_Rutan View Post
    OK so I opened up the md5sum.txt file in Notepad, I assume the Hash is the list of 31 characters at the start of the text.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehlan_Rutan View Post
    So I downloaded the torrent and also tried again through the website. Each time it gives me the md5sum of cde56251d6cae5214227d887dee3bab7. Am I looking in the wrong location?
    Yes.

What you have managed to do is to open the md5sum.txt file in the ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso file, the first line of which reads:

cde56251d6cae5214227d887dee3bab7 ./pics/red-upperleft.png
    That md5sum is the hash for the file ./pics/red-upperleft.png. If you look at the rest of the file, it lists hashes for every file in the ISO. To determine the md5sum for the ISO file itself in Windows, have a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...SUM_on_Windows

Having said that, if you downloaded the ISO by torrent from a reputable source, you don't need to check the hash as that is done automatically at the end of the torrent download.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you get the same md5sum, we can guess it is correct (for that file).

- Which file are you downloading (tell us the file name)?

- From where are you downloading it (tell us the link)?

- Which torrent file did you use, and from where did you download the torrent file?

Finally, please post the exact command, that you use to get the md5sum.

Edit: coffeecat found the answer. No need now to answer these questions.
    Last edited by sudodus; November 18th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Beans

Unfortunately this is not resolved. I used a verified torrent. The top seeded one. I also tried running the install with nomodeset. All I get is still the blinking cursor after the original screen when I am able to press 0 and get to the Ubuntu boot options.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast