Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft open sources .NET, but will it make a difference?

Beans

Re: Microsoft open sources .NET, but will it make a difference?

Microsoft decided a long time ago that its battle for world domination would be fought with patents. They published the specs for FAT, remember. Then years later they began suing everyone who used it. Open sourcing .net is just inviting people to paint a target on their backs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I understand that, but I think times have changed significantly and am (hopeful? optimistic?) that this may be different (but taking it with a grain of salt).

I outlined it before the threads got merged at (instead of repeating myself) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post13166435.
    Thanks Dragonbit for posting the link. Just so happens I read your post. (I went back when my thread got merged). I agree with what you had to say about top level management having to change. Open Source has set the bar high and if MS doesn't jump on the open source wagon they are going to get left behind. The quality of open source software has come of age and I believe that you can find some real nice software in the open source market.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah right... put part of .net under a mit licence and headline MS goes "open source".
    PR fluff as MS tries to gain some sort of control and relevance in the new OS markets and cloud.
    I prefer to believe Roy....
    lies-about-microsoft-dotnet
    Last edited by CantankRus; November 17th, 2014 at 09:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CantankRus View Post
    Yeah right... put part of .net under a mit licence and headline MS goes "open source".
    PR fluff as MS tries to gain some sort of control and relevance in the new OS markets and cloud.
    I prefer to believe Roy....
    lies-about-microsoft-dotnet
    I take his site with a grain of salt. Isn't he the one that also started BoycottNovell.com?

Just as Paul Thurrott is pro-MS, Dr. Roy is equally anti-MS. So neither of them gives a neutral view.

I'm looking at it as somebody who uses ASP.NET at work (alongside PHP and Drupal on FreeBSD) and Linux (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora and more) at home. To me, having greater .NET support on Linux is a good thing even though I don't use it much on my home systems currently.

But I am taking this news with a grain of salt, and curious to see how it pans out.

This could end up being something that benefits Enterprises invested in .NET applications who are looking for running on a non-Microsoft platform (or cloud) or for an application developer company wanting to utilize the same code across multiple platforms and HTML5 & JS isn't there for them yet. Heck, if it works out enough we may be able to move our current .NET application off of a Windows Server to something more stable, safe and manageable!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dr. Roy is equally anti-MS.
    With good reason and documented proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Thanks Dragonbit for posting the link. Just so happens I read your post. (I went back when my thread got merged). I agree with what you had to say about top level management having to change. Open Source has set the bar high and if MS doesn't jump on the open source wagon they are going to get left behind. The quality of open source software has come of age and I believe that you can find some real nice software in the open source market.
    Also, MS is changing their focus to "web" and "mobile". The web has been a strong suit of Linux so it seems natural they will need to change their tactics in that arena and Google and Apple are big enough to call most of the shots in the mobile market.

Quote Originally Posted by CantankRus View Post
    With good reason and documented proof.
    I would hardly call his writing as "proof". In Journalism, Law and Advertising anything can be "spun" to support one's opinion.

Some of the quotes have good points (such as Simon Phipps and Carlo Piana and maddog) but a lot of the post are links to what other people say.

"but will it make a difference?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Microsoft open sources .NET, but will it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Microsoft decided a long time ago that its battle for world domination would be fought with patents. They published the specs for FAT, remember. Then years later they began suing everyone who used it. Open sourcing .net is just inviting people to paint a target on their backs.
    So is FAT what they used to milk Linspire, Android,Red Hat,etc? or is this just the tip of the ice berg?
    Also,do you think people who use .net will be sued? What would be the ramifications of this?
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    So is FAT what they used to milk Linspire, Android,Red Hat,etc? or is this just the tip of the ice berg?
    Also,do you think people who use .net will be sued? What would be the ramifications of this?
    That's tricky, because how is open sourcing the .NET libraries going to change what you can and cannot do with .NET now? Even on Windows?

I think they are releasing it because without Mono they are finding that .NET is severely limited in this web & mobile world. Yes, there is ASP.NET for web but the web runs mostly on Linux, and the Windows Phone is the only one to run anything like .NET and it's market share is dismal.

When you add in Xamarin and Mono. Now you have .NET that works on Linux servers and Xamarin makes .NET work on Android and iOS!

So instead of letting .NET continue to become irrelevant where they have no control (and no revenue from Visual Studio and MSDN subscriptions) by open sourcing it they can try to capture these platforms that was primarily the property of Java.

Understandably for the Open Source and Linux crowd this is probably not going to make that much of a difference, other than the few Mono-based applications becoming more compatible. For enterprises that already have investment in .NET but are looking at switching to Linux-based servers or cloud solutions it keeps them "in the fold" by allowing them to possibly use their existing program on Linux/Cloud rather than them leaving wholesale.

Plus, if they can get developers to use .NET for programming their mobile apps, then porting popular apps to the Windows Phone because that much easier which increases the number of apps for Microsoft's phones & tablets which is one of their biggest counter-arguments.

Beans

I take his site with a grain of salt. ...
    I'm happy that the Techrights site exists though it doesn't make up for Groklaw going away.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    That would be like the FSF suing everyone who used Emacs (if they wanted to). Open Sourcing via the MIT is basically saying "Hey take the source and do what the <snip> you want, just don't remove this license header". Patents or not.

Don't forget, patents don't apply to software in the EU and largely most of Asia (except Japan and South-Korea). So it wouldn't stand in these territories anyway.
    Last edited by overdrank; November 21st, 2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: language

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast