Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Install packages

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Beans
    27

    Install packages

    Is it possible install packages from cd/dvd iso's, like copy the file let say from Linux Mints vlc package ( i got bored, trying something may not be possible)

    Booting from Debian 7.7.0 and insert Linx Mint 17 Cinnamon dvd or from ubuntustudio and copy some packages and Install them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Squidbilly-Land
    Beans
    22,474
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Install packages

    You **can** install .deb files, provided the mandatory dependencies are met
    HOWEVER - and this is big - that is a terrible idea. It will probably break system dependencies at some point and make the system be unpatchable. This isn't Windows. There are lots of moving parts, provided by hundreds of different teams around the world. Those dependencies can be shallow or deep. The deeper they are into the core OS, the more likely installing a package manually from a .deb file will lead to a problem.

    Until you understand that stuff completely, best not to do it on a system you want to maintain longer than 6 months or so.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Beans
    27

    Re: Install packages

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You **can** install .deb files, provided the mandatory dependencies are met
    HOWEVER - and this is big - that is a terrible idea. It will probably break system dependencies at some point and make the system be unpatchable. This isn't Windows. There are lots of moving parts, provided by hundreds of different teams around the world. Those dependencies can be shallow or deep. The deeper they are into the core OS, the more likely installing a package manually from a .deb file will lead to a problem.

    Until you understand that stuff completely, best not to do it on a system you want to maintain longer than 6 months or so.
    thank you that was very helpful

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Install packages

    We can use a live session/install DVD as an offline repository. We can even create our own offline repository.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...ine/Repository

    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2,336
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Install packages

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_R._Larsen View Post
    Is it possible install packages from cd/dvd iso's, like copy the file let say from Linux Mints
    The overwhelming majority of Ubuntu packages are migrated over from Debian. Even more of Mint is built directly on Ubuntu packages. Applications available in one of those distributions are almost always available for installation in the usual way in the others, although the specific versions can vary from release to release.

    Installing a package is seldom a matter of just copying a single file. Applications usually contain any number of files, and the packages that we use to install them include data and scripts to make sure all the pieces end up in the right spots in the filesystem. Any other packages -- the dependencies -- needed will be downloaded and installed *if we use* programs created to do that, like the Software Center, apt, Synaptic, etc.

    Debian packages can be searched at packages.debian.org. Ubuntu packages can be searched at packages.ubuntu.com. Both show a package's dependencies, changelog, etc.

    Mint packages are at packages.linuxmint.com. Since Mint relies on Ubuntu repos, there are relatively few packages there, so they're browsable instead of searchable.

    [EDIT: But, yes, technically, packages can be downloaded and installed locally using Software Center, apt, etc. That should work using an Ubuntu package on Ubuntu, a Mint package on Mint, etc. Trying to install a foreign package is risky for a number of reasons.]
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; November 8th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Beans
    27

    Re: Install packages

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    We can use a live session/install DVD as an offline repository. We can even create our own offline repository.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...ine/Repository

    Regards.
    Using Debian 7.7.0 innstaller works, using synaptic now I have vlc, which is great, but Linux Mint or Ubuntu-studio 14.4 is not working.
    Thank you, it was very helpful, especially if you have unstable internet connection.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Beans
    27

    Re: Install packages

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The overwhelming majority of Ubuntu packages are migrated over from Debian. Even more of Mint is built directly on Ubuntu packages. Applications available in one of those distributions are almost always available for installation in the usual way in the others, although the specific versions can vary from release to release.

    Installing a package is seldom a matter of just copying a single file. Applications usually contain any number of files, and the packages that we use to install them include data and scripts to make sure all the pieces end up in the right spots in the filesystem. Any other packages -- the dependencies -- needed will be downloaded and installed *if we use* programs created to do that, like the Software Center, apt, Synaptic, etc.

    Debian packages can be searched at packages.debian.org. Ubuntu packages can be searched at packages.ubuntu.com. Both show a package's dependencies, changelog, etc.

    Mint packages are at packages.linuxmint.com. Since Mint relies on Ubuntu repos, there are relatively few packages there, so they're browsable instead of searchable.

    [EDIT: But, yes, technically, packages can be downloaded and installed locally using Software Center, apt, etc. That should work using an Ubuntu package on Ubuntu, a Mint package on Mint, etc. Trying to install a foreign package is risky for a number of reasons.]
    Tried with software center with ubuntu live cd/dvd and linux mint didnt worked, but debian 7.7.0 dvd-1 with synaptic works

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Install packages

    Thinking about this a bit more and remembering the days before I got broadband. I use to install Ubuntu from DVDs provided by computer magazines and I would install without an internet connection. The DVD would be listed as a software source. And If I installed an application from the software centre I would be asked to put the DVD in the drive.

    The place to look is System Settings>Software and Updates>Other Software tab. On my system there is a box to tick to make the Utopic Unicorn (14.10) DVD a software source or repository, in other words. I would guess that being disconnected from the internet would be necessary to force apt-get install or any GUI front-end to apt-get to look for an offline repository.

    Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 8th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2,336
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Install packages

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_R._Larsen View Post
    Tried with software center with ubuntu live cd/dvd and linux mint didnt worked, but debian 7.7.0 dvd-1 with synaptic works
    Might be a difference in how packages are archived on the dvd's. I haven't done it lately, but Software Center and the others will install a package that's been previously downloaded from packages.ubuntu.com. That won't help reduce bandwidth use since any dependencies will be pulled down.

    Linux and Windows and OS X assume sufficient bandwidth is available, which is obviously not always the case. That's a bit of an Achille's Heel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •