Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get Win 7 machine to connect to Samba share

Beans

Re: Cannot get Win 7 machine to connect to Samba share

I didn't realize that I didn't need one. Does everything still work as it should if it's blank?

Beans

Since I don't have one at all the answer is yes.

Beans

If it helps at all; I can't connect to the share from another linux box either but can access the "Data" share with no issues.

Beans

If it helps at all; I can't access the [Other$] share from a linux box either but I can access the [Data] share with no problems.

I'm completely stumped... It looks like everything should be working now but nope...

There is a Samba user called nasadmin, that is the only "valid user" for the share and the actual permissions on the machine for the directory is set to everyone has read/write access and yet I still get the access is denied error...

Beans

If it helps at all; I can't access the [Other$] share from a linux box either but I can access the [Data] share with no problems.

I'm completely stumped... It looks like everything should be working now but nope...

There is a Samba user called nasadmin, that is the only "valid user" for the share and the actual permissions on the machine for the directory is set to everyone has read/write access and yet I still get the access is denied error...

Beans

There is a Samba user called nasadmin, that is the only "valid user" for the share and the actual permissions on the machine for the directory is set to everyone has read/write access. Yet I still get the access is denied error...

Beans

Great... the forum lagged and posted multiple copies...

Can I delete posts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Fish View Post
    Great... the forum lagged and posted multiple copies...

Can I delete posts?
    No, but you can replace the content with oooops

Edit: On a more serious note. I think you are trying to recover from some mis-conceived ideas from the start. @Morbius1 and I go way back. Generally we agree. But our methods are different. He is helping you so I won't step in front of him helping you.

I will however give you a different point of view. I don't believe in hacking the configuration of Samba. There are proper ways of doing this and there are alternative methods that cover up the ill conceived file system structure and ownership/permissions problem.

I don't think you should nest shares below shares and @Morbius1 has mentioned that. You need to add Linux and Samba users to your Ubuntu server or you will always be fighting with the guest user using all manner of chmod and chown along with force this or force that.

If you want multiple users (be they mortal or system) you need to use common user groups and ACL's as a last resort. After all of that is taken care of you can easily set up the Samba sharing.

I will answer to your earlier questions if you still want answers.
    Last edited by bab1; November 7th, 2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Typos on my additional thoughts
    -BAB1

Beans

Hi bab1,

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually have nested shares, I was just testing something temporarily and forgot to change it back. The shares are actually "/media/generic/RaidData" and "/media/generic/Other". As far as I'm aware I have set up the Samba and Linux users correctly.

Ideally I wanted to have the "Other$" share to be locked down on the actual machine aswell so that the Linux user "nasadmin" could only access it but from the looks of it that will overcomplicate things and I will take what I can get...

Any additional help that either you or Morbius could give me would be fantastic!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Fish View Post
    Hi bab1,

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually have nested shares, I was just testing something temporarily and forgot to change it back. The shares are actually "/media/generic/RaidData" and "/media/generic/Other". As far as I'm aware I have set up the Samba and Linux users correctly.

Ideally I wanted to have the "Other$" share to be locked down on the actual machine aswell so that the Linux user "nasadmin" could only access it but from the looks of it that will overcomplicate things and I will take what I can get...
    I don't see that as a complication. If you want the user to have complete control then you have to configure that, What is the user nasadmin used for? is that a mortal user ( a human) or a system user (a process or app)? has this user been added to the Samba users database (via sudo smbpasswd -a). The smbusers file is not where Samba users reside. Smbusers is a mapping of Samba user to Windows users with a different username such as
    Code:
    # linux-user = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...

root = administrator admin

nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

bbaggins = Bilbo
    ...the smbpasswd file is encrypted. It's a .tbd file and you view it with pdbedit.

What are the current ownership and permissions on the 2 directories? Post the output of these 3 commands
    ls -l /media/generic

ls -l /media/generic/RaidData

ls -l /media/generic/Other
    ... who are the users that will access the shares and for what reason (read only or read and write)?
    -BAB1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast