Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Systemd discussion - during the V cycle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Systemd discussion - during the V cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Thanks zika but rrnbtter's method was much easier.
    suum cuique
    No it really is gedit. I just open it up without sudo and it will not display the line numbers even if it's set to do so. Also the mouse is invisible when hovering over the text. It's kind of hard to manage or even use.
    This is has just been since I installed the alpha1 iso.
    Gedit with sudo? Again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks zika but rrnbtter's method was much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    suum cuique
    quicquid

Actually I was trying to use pkexec but it's just as bad or worse than sudo.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ pkx gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:12152): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:12152): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkToolButton:stock-id is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:12152): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkWidget:margin-right is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:12152): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:12152): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    However using leafpad did not give any errors at all (this time):
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ pkx leafpad /etc/fstab
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$
    But, at this time many things are finicky and change constantly on 15.04. At least for me they are.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    @cavsfan; I still wouldn't put it on Gedit. Mine is working fine but I have been getting graphics rendering problems all over the map. I even had a Drop Menu problem in Firefox for a few days. I am still getting it at various times on different programs even running the 3.19RC1 kernel. I think this will get fixed in a few days. Mean time good to hear you have Leafpad working. Regarding the sudo thing, many of us are using sudo -H in place of gksudo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    @cavsfan; I still wouldn't put it on Gedit. Mine is working fine but I have been getting graphics rendering problems all over the map. I even had a Drop Menu problem in Firefox for a few days. I am still getting it at various times on different programs even running the 3.19RC1 kernel. I think this will get fixed in a few days. Mean time good to hear you have Leafpad working. Regarding the sudo thing, many of us are using sudo -H in place of gksudo.
    My gedit got 100% worse when I installed the alpha Vivid ISO on the 18th. It's hardly manageable. I know that gksu is going away but they should find a suitable replacement before hand.
    Pkexec does not (to me that is) look like it will be the replacement. I know it is still really early in the cycle and everything is very volatile at the moment it seems.
    Leafpad seems to be fairing the best. Here's what I just got with sudo -H: (no better than gksu or pkexec)
    Code:
    avsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ sudo -H gedit /etc/fstab
    [sudo] password for cavsfan: 

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkToolButton:stock-id is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkWidget:margin-right is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    Like you say I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait...

Beans

My gedit got 100% worse when I installed the alpha Vivid ISO on the 18th. It's hardly manageable. I know that gksu is going away but they should find a suitable replacement before hand.
    Pkexec does not (to me that is) look like it will be the replacement. I know it is still really early in the cycle and everything is very volatile at the moment it seems.
    Leafpad seems to be fairing the best. Here's what I just got with sudo -H: (no better than gksu or pkexec)
    Code:

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkToolButton:stock-id is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(gedit:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkWidget:margin-right is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

The glib warning should go when a newer gedit is supplied, as far as the gtk warnings from a root gedit they have been & continue to be of no concern. Probably could be removed but Gnome dev's don't support root gui's so likely they won't. In that regard they then become meaningless.

Beans
    Distro

@cavsfan: just forget about these warnings... how many time you have posted these here?

First three warnings are just "spam". GTK+ has deprecated many properties, these are only few. It will be removed only in GTK+ 4.x until then it is only warning.

You should not worry about last two warnings. Don't know why, but running with sudo gedit fails to find org.gnome.SessionManager service. That means if you edit file and will try logout then gedit will not able to inform SessionManager that you have unsaved work. But at least logout in indicator-applet (if using flashback session and probably in unity) does not care if you have some unsaved work and will logout you anyway if you confirm action. (If you use logout button on panel or user menu applet then then logout dialog will inform you about unsaved document in gedit if not run with sudo). Otherwise gedit should work just fine.

Yes, gedit has problems now, but it might be because it is not updated to 3.14.x, it is still on 3.10.4 version...

Beans

Re: gedit

line numbers are returned in gedit 3.14 (w/ newer libgtksourceview..)
    also those gtk warnings are gone in root or non root gedit but some new ones may appear, if use isn't affected then nothing to be concerned about
    (- appears gedit will need some work to look right in an ubuntu session

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: gedit

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Code:

The glib warning should go when a newer gedit is supplied, as far as the gtk warnings from a root gedit they have been & continue to be of no concern. Probably could be removed but Gnome dev's don't support root gui's so likely they won't. In that regard they then become meaningless.
    Thanks for that information! I won't worry about it. Gedit is bad for me right now. I'll wait on the next gedit to come down the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    @cavsfan: just forget about these warnings... how many time you have posted these here?
    First three warnings are just "spam". GTK+ has deprecated many properties, these are only few. It will be removed only in GTK+ 4.x until then it is only warning.

You should not worry about last two warnings. Don't know why, but running with sudo gedit fails to find org.gnome.SessionManager service. That means if you edit file and will try logout then gedit will not able to inform SessionManager that you have unsaved work. But at least logout in indicator-applet (if using flashback session and probably in unity) does not care if you have some unsaved work and will logout you anyway if you confirm action. (If you use logout button on panel or user menu applet then then logout dialog will inform you about unsaved document in gedit if not run with sudo). Otherwise gedit should work just fine.

Yes, gedit has problems now, but it might be because it is not updated to 3.14.x, it is still on 3.10.4 version...
    Excuse me? I can see they are warnings and I was not worried about them breaking my system.
    I really am not even close to being the first or only one that posts gksudo gedit error messages by any stretch of your imagination.
    Plus seeing "is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version." is a tad disconcerting.
    I'm not sure I've seen that exact message before.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    line numbers are returned in gedit 3.14 (w/ newer libgtksourceview..)
    also those gtk warnings are gone in root or non root gedit but some new ones may appear, if use isn't affected then nothing to be concerned about
    (- appears gedit will need some work to look right in an ubuntu session
    Thanks! I'll just stop worrying about those warnings and let it go.

Sorry, I guess you can blame me for straying off of the thread topic of systemd.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; December 23rd, 2014 at 10:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So... how is running only systemd working for everyone?
    The only changes I've noticed is at boot time I no longer see those messages with the green button (or whatever) beside them like when network manager was started up, etc.

Beans

So... how is running only systemd working for everyone?
    The only changes I've noticed is at boot time I no longer see those messages with the green button (or whatever) beside them like when network manager was started up, etc.
    Systemd only is running fine here (with Gnome-shell DE and GDM).
    But I would like to know how many of you actually have a Systemd-only setup.
    Meaning - you have purged at least these:
    - systemd-shim
    - cgmanager + libcgmanager0
    - upstart
    And you have systemd-sysv installed.
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz / Asus Sabertooth Z97 / G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 Mhz
    Samsung 850 PRO 128 Gt SSD SATA III / HP Z27i 27" IPS

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast