Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded To 14.10- Graphics Problem

Beans

Upgraded To 14.10- Graphics Problem

I've just upgraded Ubuntu to 14.10, & it seems that I have a graphics problem that is now much worse than it was with 14.04. When I move my mouse around the screen, it tends to leave a trail of arrows behind it. Is there anything I can do? Thanks!

Beans

Re: Upgraded To 14.10- Graphics Problem

I upgraded to 14.10 from 14.04 and had a similar problem, mouse cursor was jumpy and jittery could not find a solution so reinstalled 14.04 and all is fine again. I had many problems after upgrading. Just thought I'd let you know.

Beans

Thanx for the suggestion, though I'd rather not have to install it fresh if I can avoid it. If there's a simpler solution, I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by findingthebalance View Post
    I upgraded to 14.10 from 14.04 and had a similar problem, mouse cursor was jumpy and jittery could not find a solution so reinstalled 14.04 and all is fine again. I had many problems after upgrading. Just thought I'd let you know.
    Well, after trying the 14.10 live CD, I can see that I'd be no better off than I am now. If there's anything I can do to fix this issue, please let me know!
    Last edited by howefield; September 9th, 2016 at 03:29 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have come to this thread from your other linked one about a live CD login problem, but to give you any more help we really need to know much more about hardware that you have, specifically the graphic card.

Beans

Well, I found a driver in the software center, & am VERY happy to report that my issues are resolved!!! I was afraid to try it, not knowing what the result would be, but I'm pleasantly surprised.... no.... ECSTATIC.... that I no longer see a trail of blinking arrows, a box/square around the mouse when I hover over pull-down menus, or a flickering mouse on any webpage containing flash content. The problems actually started about a yr ago, though at that time, it was just the flickering mouse. I ignored it, since it was a relatively minor issue, but it got worse with 14.04 & even more worse with 14.10. It made the system nearly impossible to use. But thankfully, these issues are now a thing of the past Thankyou to those who were trying to help me!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

It would be very helpful to other members of the community if you would provide the details of your hardware and just what driver you installed.

As it is, someone with the same problem will have no idea what lessons you learned if they encounter the same problem. Please allow the entire community to benefit from what you have learned. That is a large part of why these Forums exist.

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I have an old lenovo laptop, so the video component is on-board & I don't know what kind it is. That's why I was afraid to try the driver, though it was the only one available. I installed the ATI Binary X.Org hardware excelleration driver.

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello!

It would be very helpful to other members of the community if you would provide the details of your hardware and just what driver you installed.

As it is, someone with the same problem will have no idea what lessons you learned if they encounter the same problem. Please allow the entire community to benefit from what you have learned. That is a large part of why these Forums exist.

Thanks.
    Well, unfortunately, I celebrated too soon. The problems have returned. I turned on my laptop just now, & immediately saw the change. I don't know why this is happening. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by howefield; September 9th, 2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Can anyone help?
    NOT -- without you providing the video hardware information we've asked for -- more than once!

To find out the make and model video chipset on your PC, open a terminal, enter "lspci" (without the quotes), and look for the line containing "VGA". Post that information back here.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

[AMD/ATI] RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    NOT -- without you providing the video hardware information we've asked for -- more than once!

To find out the make and model video chipset on your PC, open a terminal, enter "lspci" (without the quotes), and look for the line containing "VGA". Post that information back here.
    Last edited by sasafrass452; November 6th, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you already had the AMD video chipset and did not add that by installing a video card yourself, then you have what is known as Hybrid Graphics -- and there are no simple solutions to that in Linux as the specialized drivers needed are written for Windows.

In addition, AMD dropped their restricted drivers for their HD2x/3x/4x-series cards last summer, and no Ubuntu version newer than 12.04.1 is going to work with the older "legacy" fglrx drivers due to upgrades to the X-server that render those drivers incompatible now.

The link contains information and suggestions for dealing with Intel/AMD Hybrid Graphics: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20511.../288355#288355
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast