Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone is accesing my pc

Beans

Someone is accesing my pc

I am sure that someone is having access to my personal computer, i changed my password and blocked the acces in the firewall, but this is still happening. I can't explain how i know, but i am sure that it is going on, and i know who it is. What can i do to be more protected? Or where can i check there accesing? Im noob on linux and i don't understand much, but i try to manage to learn.

Thanks in advance!
    Tey

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Someone is accesing my pc

Access via what? Remote desktop or via terminal?

If he is logged into your computer, you can see who are logged in by typing "w" in the terminal. Something like this:
    Code:
    [kenneth@nerdtron ~]$ w
     16:05:57 up 10 days,  9:13, 22 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
    kenneth  tty1     :0               28Aug14 10days 44:07   0.13s pam: gdm-password
    kenneth  pts/1    :0.0             28Aug14  4days  0.02s  0.02s /bin/bash
    kenneth  pts/8    :0.0             31Aug14  3days  0.03s  0.03s /bin/bash
    kenneth  pts/7    :0.0             31Aug14  7days  0.00s  0.00s /bin/bash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi, welcome.

Can you, at least, explain what is being accessed? Nobody can give any suggestion without knowing (or inferring) the attack vector...

And needless to say you may be sure, ie, you may believe it, but that doesn't make it true... I suspect that - assuming there's actually something going on - it can come from many other avenues...
    Honestly, if I were after you the LEAST of my priorities would be gaining physical or remote access to your PC. Instead I would first and foremost go after what you already offered in social networking. That's exactly what the NSA, CIA, FBI and their counterparts in other countries do in a daily basis.

Now, the hypotheses you put forth is indeed plausible nevertheless. In order to start thinking about it you should offer a lot more info. Namely:
    - OS version
    - What firewall and how have "blocked the access"
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

i know what you mean, but they are my neighboors, they are making me war and stalking me, it is weird and sounds paranoid, i know, but they know things i write in my computer and said it in a loud voice, and they have controll to freese my computer, i suspected this before, but was affirmed by them. When i configured the firewall my computer stopped crashing for a couple days, but seems like they found another way. I know how stupid this sounds but i swear is true.

This is what i got rununf "w" on my terminal

22:07:01 up 2:28, 2 users, load average: 0,04, 0,13, 0,11
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
    tey :0 :0 19:38 ?xdm? 7:49 0.15s init --user
    tey pts/0 :0 22:06 3.00s 0.06s 0.00s w

Tey it's me, looks normal to me, but i have not much idea and i don't know if they log often or when...
    Is there anything else i can do to protect myself? I dont like having anyone spying me

Thanks a lot!!!!

Beans

now i look at it better, says 2 users... both with my name, but im not sure of what that means

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Sounds like a big problem. Are you accessing the Internet via Wifi or ethernet? If not the latter, I suggest doing that from now on until your neighbours stop. If the latter doesn't work, you might have something wrong with your Internet source. That is beyond my scope of knowledge. Let us know how it goes.

user tey (you)
    and tey (you)

Should be what you see.

Beans
    Hidden!

If it's your neighbours, then it might be a good time to up the security on your WiFi.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cacahuatey View Post
    now i look at it better, says 2 users... both with my name, but im not sure of what that means
    That's perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Honestly, it sounds like a bunch of BS to me but...

- Are you in a shared internet access of some kind with your neighbors? If so, many things can happen depending on your network configuration. If not then your neighbors need to be as good as NSA and, unless their filthy rich, they simply DON'T have the resources to pull such stunt.

Now... This other part intrigued me:
    they know things i write in my computer
    Ok, for starts, you don't just "write things in your computer". Such statement is so vague it says absolutely nothing. Let's see... Do they know what you wrote in a text file/spreadsheet/presentation/whatever that never left your PC? That would be weird indeed... OTOH, things you write in the web - including your own posts here - are easily accessible and it doesn't require too much social engineering to have access to "things you wrote in the web which weren't for public display", ie, "things" requiring a password...

Speaking of which... Have you changed ALL your passwords already?
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The only evidence you've given that this individual has access to your computer is that they "know things", but you didn't say what. First, they may not be causing your computer problems, but they might be trying to trick you into thinking that they are. Did they bring up the subject, or did you?

Never mind. It doesn't matter. It's already been suggested that you use an ethernet cable. However, if they have access to your modem's password (unlikely), then they could concievably still log in and perform something with their computer that requires an absurd amount of bandwidth. I don't know of any way to block that, short of covering your modem in tinfoil, which seems like overkill.

I don't think anyone can really advise you better without knowing more details.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast