Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vodafone Webbook ON9

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Vodafone Webbook ON9

Hi

One simply cannot log in. I think the OS is corrupt.
    Even if I did know exactly what Ubuntu to download, I`ve no idea how to reinstall it on this thing.
    You're too much into the windows mindset here.

I just sounds like X is crashing and dumping you back to the login prompt which will be GDM under 10.04 (assuming that is what you have).

I would be very surprised if this is not fixable. You should not need to reinstall at all.

There are a many posters already, on this thread already so i'll just subscribe to it for the moment.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Thank you kc1di. I`m sorry I can`t copy and paste the logs directly, the webbook can`t log in and the only way for me to even access a terminal is by using ctrl+alt+F1 at the login screen. I typed those commands and this was the output for each of them.

lspci :
    pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
    lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

lsmod:
    Module Size Used by
    uvcvideo 58057 0
    rtl8712s 320981 0
    gpu 104773 2
    uio_pdrv_genirq 2716 0
    usbhid 29349 0

lshw:
    -bash: lshw: command not found

lsusb:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 064e:e215 Suyin Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 177a:ff00
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Beans

Hi Matt,

I think you`re right. Normally with windows this would be such an easy fix. I could system restore, boot the windows disc and repair, or even just boot Hiren`s and use one of several programs to fix the issue, but with Ubuntu I am clueless hahaha. Do you have any ideas for me? Initially I tried to connect to the internet via the terminal, but I couldn`t get it to work. There is a problem with the "Wext" driver. I wanted to connect it to the internet and then use "sudo aptitude" to see if updating all those components might fix the issue. However, after coming to terms with the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I`m doing on Ubuntu, I thought it`d be wiser to open a thread first hahaha.

What would you do in this situation? Any help would be greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    André

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

What would you do in this situation? Any help would be greatly and sincerely appreciated.
    I'm Just about to go offline as i have some guests coming this evening, however if you can wait till tomorrow and there has been no progress then we can look to see what you have installed, what exactly has broken and then attempt to fix it.

I have some questions to start with though to get some background. Please be as thorough as possible when answering them.

1. I take it Ubuntu was working on the netbook but has recently stopped working ?
    2. If the above is the case, did it stop working after an update, a system crash, a hard power off or something else ?
    3. If not, is this a new installation ?
    4. Can you boot into the recovery mode from the Grub menu screen ?
    5. Can you boot into failsafe graphics mode ?

Can you supply the basic system specs please.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

@Matt

The netbook runs Ubuntu 10.04 pre-installed from what I could gather it is a South African computer only.

800MHz Freescale iMX515 based on ARM Cortex-A8
    512MB RAM, and 4GB of flash storage

Just to help the OP out. I got the info from here: http://www.techcentral.co.za/vodafon...netbook/27074/

I presume this is 'the one'

Beans

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate you being willing to help. Not a lot of people would do that today. I can definitely wait 'till tomorrow, it`s almost the end of my work day anyway, and I haven`t really made any progress with the webbook.

I shall try to be as thorough as possible but you should also know I really don`t have a lot of information about this webbook.

1. Yes, the webbook recently stopped working.
    2. I have no idea, the customer was extremely vague and didn`t offer a lot of information as to what happened. In fact, he thought he had forgotten his password, he thought it was a password issue. I eliminated this though, by removing the battery and setting the switch to "Setup" or something of the sort and changing the password of his account by choosing the option "execute a shell". If I remember correctly, it was called "Ash". After the password change, the netbook still just shows a black screen for a few seconds after login then returns to the login screen again.
    3. After trying to fix the issue after countless hours spent in the terminal, I can safely say it is definitely not a new installation. I used the "dir" command to see what`s on the HDD and found some videos, pictures etc. Though the HDD is only 4GB.
    4. No, I cannot. It is one of the first things I tried with the netbook after doing my research, I tried holding and pressing the ESC and Left + Right Shift keys (Not at the same time, first ESC, then Left Shift, then Right shift), it does not boot into another GRUB menu screen nor do I see any recovery modes or options. I found one other thread where someone with the same netbook also stated that he had also tried booting into a recovery menu by holding down the SHIFT key, but it did not work. I think that function was purposefully removed with this Vodafone Webbook.
    5. Also a no. At the login screen after selecting an account. At the bottom I can choose one of four options before login. Failsafe GNOME, GNOME, Unity 2D or xterm. None of them work, it does exactly the same thing as mentioned above no matter what option is chosen at the bottom before login.

Kind regards,
    André

Beans

Hi /ADM,

That is the exact one. Thank you for your help and for providing the specifications hahaha. I really appreciate the help. You guys have been very kind so far and I sincerely appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
    André

Beans

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say I solved the issue. I did a lot of research again, and I learned that in Ubuntu, for a User to be able to log in correctly, an Xauthority file has to be created and the permissions have to be set for that file. After screwing around in the terminal, I noticed that there was absolutely no free space on the enormous 4GB HDD (What a shocker), so I deleted a large video file in the home folder while I was in the terminal. Restarted with "sudo reboot" and viola! No more login screen loop. Everything is fixed, no re-install is necessary. I`m just glad I don`t have to tell this guy he has to go to a vodafone shop to get it fixed. Thanks for everyone`s help, I sincerely appreciate you guys taking the time to help out a Windows user hahaha. Everyone is very kind.

Kind Regards,
    André

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12