Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows & Ubuntu

Beans

Windows & Ubuntu

First off I am just saying this I am both a fan of Windows & Ubuntu I dual-boot with both. I want to know why are there so many windows hater if they are linux fans? I mean im not a fan of Mac, but at the same time if I were told I only have access to mac I would use it I don't hate them I just dislike the lack of hardware customization you can do to them. Just want to hear people's thoughts not really going anywhere with this one

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows & Ubuntu

There are zealots on both (all 3?) sides of the fence. I'm no psychologist, so I can't say whether or not it makes them feel superior to berate someone else, or their OS.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    There are zealots on both (all 3?) sides of the fence. I'm no psychologist, so I can't say whether or not it makes them feel superior to berate someone else, or their OS.
    Personally I feel superior when I can leverage the computer in front of me to get done what's necessary.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    +1Personally I feel superior when I can leverage the computer in front of me to get done what's necessary.
    The majority of people I meet who are heavily invested into a single product line such as all three OS's Linux, Windows, & MAC. I have always saw that majority of people will always try to convert them to the OS saying how great it is, but yet it doesn't matter which OS it is honestly they can't give me any specific reason as to why it is better all they tell me oh it's so much better and has a lot more user base........SOOOOOO? I want an OS that can get things done for my needs mainly productivity needs so in reality all three could work for me though at the same time I am a gamer so also want something that can game hence the reason for hardware customization for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 from me as well to the comment pfeiffep made

as for why - various things are at play.
    1. they never tried anything else
    2. some people are conservative by nature and might develop intolerance towards other alternatives
    3. some people are more susceptible to marketing and since they use only one OS we could call that propaganda. they follow articles about their OS only, censoring info form other OS.

all in all whatever get's the job done is good for me. if MS-DOS can make it run perfectly then i will use that. if I need to work with something that runs on windows 8 then I will use that etc.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaron58 View Post
    The majority of people I meet ....
    Hmmm ... The majority of people I meet aren't bothered about Linux v/s Mac v/s Windows.

Beans

well for me,,in 2000 i was headed in for back surgery and knew i was gonna have a lot of time on my hands that year,So i looked around and found a mac and started messing with it ,after a year i was going to upgrade,until i realized it gonna be twice the cost of a ibm machine for the same set up and upgrading it would be next to impossible so i went windows and has happy as hell with ME ,and would still be using it other then it was not compatible with the web by 05[?] so i upgraded and then the realization of what windows was really about hit me,,since then i have been looking around at other OS ,then last week after seeing 8.1 on the wifes machine,,i decided it was really time to make the change

been using several linux programs since around FF v2.9

thats when and how i found this forum ,and the change has begun

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

how is 8.1 different from Gnome? if oyu set it to boot to desktop it works as the old windows did except for the hot corners and that start menu takes up the whole screen (just like gnome)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

On this particular forum, I see very few irrational Linux-fan comments, very little Windows-hate, and a lot of comments along the lines of "Use whatever OS works best for you."

Windows is an excellent OS. I've never had Win 7 crash, and the application ecosystem is like a diverse jungle... though it has malware beasts lurking behind some of the trees. My wife just got a big-screen Mac with OSX Maverick (which I get to play on sometimes), and it's an excellent OS. Gotta say, Apple has put together a stunning hardware/software package. Most of the time at home I run Ubuntu, Mint, and Salix, and all three are smooth, fast, and reliable OSes.

At this point in technological evolution we have many very good choices. I feel that people who don't explore the choices are missing out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PondPuppy View Post
    ... I feel that people who don't explore the choices are missing out.
    Rather than explore choice, I prefer digging deeper than wider: I mean I'd rather learn more about the nuts and bolts (regex, sed, awk, a little perl pie, crontab, css, rsync, zenity, how to use advanced features of spreadsheets, conky, etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast