Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Can not get Ubuntu to function anymore

Beans

Re: Can not get Ubuntu to function anymore

So I have been using Ubuntu 10.10 for the last couple of years. Yesterday, tried to start the computer and it would not start up. Have tried checking the memory, safety startup and everything else. Have also tried to use the original Ubuntu CD and nothing. Anybody have any ideas?

Since Ubuntu 10.10 is not supported anymore, I have tried several time to update to 12.04 STD but did not have any success. Have been meaning to get help, but now this problem.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Merged

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to give information about your computer hardware, your partition layout, any other operating systems on the machine and a more informative description of what is wrong than "it would not start up." For all we know it could be the computer that is broken.

It would be better if you installed either Ubuntu 12.04 with support until sometime in 2017 or Ubuntu 14.04 with support until sometime in 2019. It is possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 but first you need a working OS. And it will be difficult because you will need to go to 11.04, then to 11.10 before you get to 12.04 and with 11.04 and 11.10 also having reached End of Life upgrading will not be easy.

So, if you wish to install a newer version of Ubuntu you need to explain in more detail what you mean by "nothing."

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Right now, I am using that computer, just running from the original CD in the "try it" section of the CD. So I think the computer is working. I will try and get you the information you asked for.

Have no idea where to look to find the information you need. I know that the terminal window will give me that information with the correct command, but I do not know it off hand.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could use Disk Utility to check the status of your hard drive.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

And how do I do that?

When I start the computer with out the original startup disk, There are four options to start the computer. I ran the memory check option and found no errors.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Trying to remember back to 10.10.

You need to launch Disk Utility select the harddrive in question click the Gears Icon and run Smart Tests.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SAltonS View Post
    When I start the computer with out the original startup disk, There are four options to start the computer. I ran the memory check option and found no errors.
    What are the other options?

Beans

You are dealing with door here! You will have to spell it out. Sorry.

I would have to shut down the computer to remember that. And that is not going to happen until I get this problem fixed I hope.

Disk utility says that the hard drive is healthy. Everything that is applicable is good.

When I click on the "check filesystem" it says the the "file system is not clean"

The hard drive is 160GB.

Am running the Disk_bench test now.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SAltonS View Post
    When I click on the "check filesystem" it says the the "file system is not clean"
    Is this a dual boot with Windows?

Beans

I am running from the start up CD, so I do not think the computer can tell if the hard drive is partitioned. But no, I did not partition the hard drive. I have no use for windows.

Can you reset the computer to an earlier date? Know you can do that in Windows. Is there a command line for that? I have been playing with the terminal screen, but have only been able to figure out the "sudo apt-get" command line.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 23rd, 2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Merged

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast