Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: manual binary installation. how to be root?

Beans

Re: manual binary installation. how to be root?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    as noted above put "sudo" (without the quotes) before your move or copy command in a terminal.

Code:
    sudo -i
    put into a terminal with your password will give you a persistent root terminal to issue commands in, for installing etc, without the need for a graphical root login (no support can be given for graphical root logins here _ forum rules, due to adherence to canonical's security model).

if you wish to use nautilus to move/copy files as root _ take care, you can easily damage your installation with a mistake in a root browser, to get a root browser,
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    shut down the browser immediately after doing your root task to minimize potential for catastrophic mistakes very easily being made. Note all the emphasis on the warnings, root browsers and beginners generally don't mix safely.

As per coffeecat's next post read (same link, posted at same time as this post )
    |
    |
    v
    PERFECT!
    yes, i understand now.

it was the gksu nautilus command that was the part to help me complete the task.

wonderful. although i see the possible dangers of this,for the task i was doing it was pretty dam good.

thanks all for your patience, but as always, i get there in the end.
    thanks!
    Last edited by gnowair; October 21st, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

...,all it does is ask for NORMAL password,not my ROOT password
    Please, if you've enabled your root password use the Rootsudo Documentation to issue the terminal command to lock and delete it. This will bring you back to a more standard installation for help purposes here. It is Ubuntu's security model preferred usage (though ultimately it is up to you how you set up your install).

Open a terminal (CTRL + ALT + T) and copy / paste this next code, enter your user/sudo password and press enter. Note : The terminal won't show the password as it is entered.

Code:
    sudo passwd -dl root
    This will delete the root password set and lock the Ubuntu root account.

Glad to hear the nautilus browser worked for you. Cheers.

Beans

hey.
    the account holder here,my self, is the "first created account". HOWEVER, i was still not being abled to paste into usr/bin.

if you read my posting above your last rather rude one, you would see that i had already complted the task at hand.

thank you, SOLVED.

Beans

Depending what the executable is you could place the file in $HOME/bin . In Ubuntu this is set in your $PATH by $HOME/.profile:

Code:
    # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
    if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
        PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
    fi
    But this depends on the nature of the executable, if you wish to have other users to have access to it, if you even want executables in $HOME etc. A quick look through my own $HOME/bin shows mostly scripts, youtube-dl, FoxitReader and AtomicParsley. I have had NeroAacEnc, NeroAacTag there before...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gnowair View Post
    thank you, SOLVED.
    Marked it [SOLVED] for you
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This will spare a lot of reading (at the cost of decreasing your Ubuntu knowledge): You can do a "manual binary installation" two ways. From the command line do
    Code:
    sudo -i
    cd /usr/bin
    #insert the file by copy or drag-and-drop
    or from Nautilus do this at the command line
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    This will give a root terminal from which you can do as you please, as coldcritter64 suggested. In keeping with his remarks, operating as root is highly dangerous and can easily lead to irreparable system damage. Close open terminals immediately after using them. Also, Ubuntu disabled the superuser account for security reasons. There is, therefore, no difference between your user password and the sudo password. Please remember that I have given you just enough information to be dangerous. Do not do anything in either terminal that you fail to thoroughly underfstand!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12