Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manual binary installation. how to be root?

Beans

manual binary installation. how to be root?

hi! thanks for taking the time to pop to this page!

i'd be very grateful to find a way to switch to being root, without having to log out, and back in and so on.

in particular i simply need to drop the binary executable file into usr/bin, but ubuntu isnt letting unless i am root.

thank you very kindly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: manual binary installation. how to be root?

You've tried sudo or sudo -i?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

no, i thought running commands was just for doing things via terminal?
    whereas i am trying to learn how to install manually items from download folder.
    i will run those commands and see what i see.....
    will be back in a minute:::::......

Beans
    Hidden!

As noted above put "sudo" (without the quotes) before your move or copy command in a terminal.

Code:
    sudo -i
    put into a terminal with your password will give you a persistent root terminal to issue commands in, for installing etc, without the need for a graphical root login (NO support can be given for graphical root logins here _ forum rules, due to adherence to Canonical's security model).

IF you wish to use nautilus to move/copy files as root _ TAKE CARE, you can easily damage your installation with a mistake in a root browser, to get a root browser,
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    SHUT DOWN the browser IMMEDIATELY after doing your root task to minimize potential for catastrophic mistakes very easily being made. Note all the emphasis on the warnings, root browsers and beginners generally don't mix safely.

As per coffeecat's next post read (same link, posted at same time as this post )
    |
    |
    V
    Last edited by coldcritter64; October 21st, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    You've tried sudo or sudo -i?
    as expected, when i run that command,all it does is ask for NORMAL password,not my ROOT password,and will not help at all for allowing me to copy and paste an item into my usr/bin folder.

the point of my exercise here is MANUAL BINARY INSTALLATION not install via terminal.

thanks anyhow as any efforts by anyone to help is always highly appreciated.

apparently i can log in as root via GUI but as yet i've found no help online as yet. will keep trying,and will check here often in the meantime.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by gnowair View Post
    as expected, when i run that command,all it does is ask for NORMAL password,not my ROOT password,
    There is no need to activate the root password. Please read the two posts immediately prior to yours.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!

Please read the Rootsudo documentation linked in coffeecat's and my past post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    i am not sure how this would help.

unless i am mistaken, the link there is for doing things via the terminal, whereas i am trying to manully install a binary executable into usr/bin. which i cant do because i need to be root.
    and when i attempt by typing any of the above into terminal it will make no difference to the fact that the right-click "paste" option will yet not work, meaning it never made me root exept for what i would tyupe into terminal after it asks for password.
    incidently, when i type all above advised commands from either the link above,lor from advice further up the page, i am asked for my normal user password, NOT my root password anyway.

so as yet i still cannot simply paste an item into usr/bin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    Please read the Rootsudo documentation linked in coffeecat's and my past post.

ok, trying again. thank u.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast