Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: install alongside

Beans

Re: install alongside

Prior to Colin Watson adding that new warning dialog just a few days ago you wouldn't even have known that Lubuntu was going to be installed in the incorrect place so there is at least a minor improvement in that regard. But not clearly defining the difference between "auto-resize" and "use largest continuous free space" is IMO a serious design flaw. I've argued that since Maverick to no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In this testing forum I use multiple partitions on two drives on four test pc's,
    I have windows7 on two of them that I do not want touched, certainly not by buggy grub. Over the years grub has caused me lots of grief..
    I use gparted to set up the partitions and I know what iso I want on which partition.
    I'm not interested in having install sprinkle around the various levels of utopic and tahr and debian.

So I'm happy to let you people test all the other options - I stick with "something else".

BTW, having good luck lately with Ventrical's post in the sticky "Commonly used" thread:
    Download the ISO
    Insert your USB stick in the knowledge that it’s going to get wiped
    Open the “Disks” application
    Choose your USB stick and click on the cog icon on the righthand side
    Choose “Restore Disk Image”
    Browse to and select the ISO you downloaded in #1
    Click “Start restoring”
    Wait
    Boot and select “Try Ubuntu….”
    Done *
    I do mostly boot the iso directly from hard drive, faster than usb. The usb stick is useful when getting close to release and actually wanting to install the same level on more than one pc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    In this testing forum I use multiple partitions on two drives on four test pc's,
    I have windows7 on two of them that I do not want touched, certainly not by buggy grub. Over the years grub has caused me lots of grief..
    I use gparted to set up the partitions and I know what iso I want on which partition.
    I'm not interested in having install sprinkle around the various levels of utopic and tahr and debian.

So I'm happy to let you people test all the other options - I stick with "something else".
    I wish I had done that too, and avoided a lot of bad feelings.
    BTW, having good luck lately with Ventrical's post in the sticky "Commonly used" thread:
    Download the ISO
    Insert your USB stick in the knowledge that it’s going to get wiped
    Open the “Disks” application
    Choose your USB stick and click on the cog icon on the righthand side
    Choose “Restore Disk Image”
    Browse to and select the ISO you downloaded in #1
    Click “Start restoring”
    Wait
    Boot and select “Try Ubuntu….”
    Done *
    I do mostly boot the iso directly from hard drive, faster than usb. The usb stick is useful when getting close to release and actually wanting to install the same level on more than one pc.
    Interesting! Do you know if this tool uses dd or some more advanced thing like zsync?
    Last edited by sudodus; October 21st, 2014 at 05:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Prior to Colin Watson adding that new warning dialog just a few days ago you wouldn't even have known that Lubuntu was going to be installed in the incorrect place so there is at least a minor improvement in that regard. But not clearly defining the difference between "auto-resize" and "use largest continuous free space" is IMO a serious design flaw. I've argued that since Maverick to no avail.
    I can't rely on "Install alongside", but it is obvious to me that this option is very popular, and most of us want to keep it to make things simple for newcomers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I can't rely on "Install alongside", but it is obvious to me that this option is very popular, and most of us want to keep it to make things simple for newcomers.
    I have such a surplus of hdds that actually it could be called a "hoard"! Currently I have 9 desktops (towers) surrounding me in my "ubuntu-shack". Plus 3 other towers that alternate and three laptops.

I am always swapping drives. Bricking an hdd or mobo doesn't worry me.

"Install alongside" is always very useful when I am experimenting with xubuntu and all the flavours. I just want to test the installability of that daily image and I haven't got time to do commit, at that very moment, to a solitary install.

When I am ready to dispose of one install for the next 'daily' I use jerryalamos's method and choose "something else". I only had one fail and that was with UEIF but I had learned how to overcome that.

Lubuntu has also worked well with Install Alongside and I think I will test that thismorning.

Whoops .. gotta go.Edit .. had to do a wake up call
    Last edited by ventrical; October 21st, 2014 at 10:21 AM.

Beans

It's hard to find Fix Released bugs

But I wanted to provide some history on this so:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/766265

As you can see there I fought and only partially won - that's when they changed the UI so the button in the lower right hand corner changes from Continue to Install Now. I hope I can find another old report that's very relevant to that, one where Colin Watson even said it needs to be changed but the design team won't allow it.

BTW if you wonder why Colin Watson finally fixed this bug it's because I threw a fit like a petulant child beginning here:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntugn.../msg00559.html

Shortly thereafter things went PM and I won't share the contents of PM's because they are by definition "private mail" but I've acquired a number of battle scars fighting with devs since the redesign of ubiquity during the Maverick dev cycle. I'm getting old and tired of fighting though

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

I have had the same problems with Windows 8, UEFI or no UEIF. However , with no UEFI I am able to use Grub Rescue to restore my bumped Windows 8 bootloader. ( I used Lubuntu .iso to do a side by side on an E-machine but all the flavours do this) and if I use "something else" to replace an exiting install grub will bork it again and I will have to use Grub rescue again to get the dual boot. It's real downtime in the true sense of the word.

Grub rescue CD does a really good job of fixing these borked bootloaders but it is still less efficient than the direct '.iso off the hdd' method that you are using.

Regards..

Addon:

Note : I have had success with "Install alongside" with Windows 7 but not Windows 8.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 21st, 2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: changed Windows 7 to Windows 8

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It's hard to find Fix Released bugs

But I wanted to provide some history on this so:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/766265

As you can see there I fought and only partially won - that's when they changed the UI so the button in the lower right hand corner changes from Continue to Install Now. I hope I can find another old report that's very relevant to that, one where Colin Watson even said it needs to be changed but the design team won't allow it.

BTW if you wonder why Colin Watson finally fixed this bug it's because I threw a fit like a petulant child beginning here:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntugn.../msg00559.html

Shortly thereafter things went PM and I won't share the contents of PM's because they are by definition "private mail" but I've acquired a number of battle scars fighting with devs since the redesign of ubiquity during the Maverick dev cycle. I'm getting old and tired of fighting though
    I don't get it because have had nothing but success with my last three "Install alongside" Ubuntu/xubuntu Beta2s.

edit >
    Only bug I have had is with Windows 8 bootloader.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 21st, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Beans

Here's an unrelated one regarding replacing the add & delete buttons with + and - icons:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1045799

I lost there even though + and - clearly do not always = add or remove. They can also mean increase or decrease! But the devs always know best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast