Thread: Can I run the latest version of Virtualbox (4.3.18) on Ubuntu 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Can I run the latest version of Virtualbox (4.3.18) on Ubuntu 8.04?

If not the latest, then what version will work? Currently on 4.2.18
    According to the VB website latest downloadable version 0f 4.3.18 goes down to Ubuntu 10.04, I run this at work and upgraded yesterday.
    (Dont tell me to upgrade, not interested)

Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans

Re: Can I run the latest version of Virtualbox (4.3.18) on Ubuntu 8.04?

Follow the instructions for "Debian-based" systems on the VirtualBox Linux Downloads page. If you add the Oracle repository to your system, you'll automatically have the most recent version of VB.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well I've already been there, doesnt say anything more than you've said, I'm looking for a version number.
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans

The version currently being distributed from the Oracle repository is 4.3.18. As I said, if you add Oracle's repository to your sources list, it will be automatically updated to the most recent version whenever you update your system.

That said, I didn't notice you were running the now unsupported 8.04. I have no idea whether Oracle still supports that version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu itself most certainly does not. You would be well advised to install 14.04 when you have a chance.

If you don't want to upgrade, then you will be left in the dust, I'm afraid.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users