Thread: HD7610M + FGLRX works until shutdown + cold boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HD7610M + FGLRX works until shutdown + cold boot.

So I have a Toshiba C855-255 laptop with Radeon HD7610m graphics and I have a problem that I haven't
    come across on any forum or google search.

I've had this problem on numerous clean installs and the following happens:

1. I install Ubuntu 14.04.1 on my laptop and reboot.
    2. I install all pending updates and reboot.
    3. I install fglrx-updates and fglrx-amdcccle-updates and reboot.
    (I've tried regular fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle as well. This seems to make no difference to the result.)
    4. I reboot and open catalyst control centre (the one with root access) and apply my preferred settings.
    5. I can reboot and reboot one after another without any problems. Everything works wonderfully.
    6. But then I shutdown and do a cold boot. After I shutdown+cold boot, from now on on every reboot or
    cold boot I'll have distorted graphics and I can't read the text very well, but I can login. After login though,
    clicking stuff does nothing andthe only thing left for me is ctrl+alt+F2 and uninstall fglrx-updates and
    fglrx-amdcccle-updates, so that on the next boot, I use the open source radeon driver again.

This has been the case ever since I bought this laptop a few years ago, so from Ubuntu 12.04 up untill now.
    I figured a newer kernel and newer proprietary drivers would eventually fix this, but as far as I've read,
    the Radeon HD7610m chip should be working okay with Ubuntu 14.04 and the provided drivers.

I have no deep understanding of hardware and driver software, but seeming everything continues to work,
    even on reboots, just not after shutdown+cold boot, maybe certain settings aren't saved properly or at all?

Any help at all or even just finding out why it can't work or if it's brand related would be a big help. I would
    like to use the proprietary driver because it just works a lot better with games and since my favorites are
    all supported on Linux as of lately, I like to get it to work.

Thanks!
    Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon AMD64 | Toshiba C855-255 | Core i5 3230M | 8GB @ 1600MHz | Radeon HD7610m | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 3.13.0.45-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HD7610M + FGLRX works until shutdown + cold boot.

Hasn't anybody got a clue as to what might cause this?
    Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon AMD64 | Toshiba C855-255 | Core i5 3230M | 8GB @ 1600MHz | Radeon HD7610m | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 3.13.0.45-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I still have my problem and I thought maybe a few photo's would ring a bell for anyone
    and clarify my issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...ew?usp=sharing

I tried the fglrx-core and fglrx packages from the AMD driver site this time, version 14.501,
    packaged for ubuntu 14.04, but the result is exactly the same as with the versions in the repositories.
    Everything functions, and games like cs:go work, but it's just that the screen always looks like this.

the black bar in the middle is seen as the screen edge, so I can't cross that with the pointer.

Any ideas, anyone?

BTW: I realise this is Linux Mint, but it does the exact same thing in Ubuntu 14.04 and Elementary OS Freya.
    Last edited by richierich1986; February 11th, 2015 at 06:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Even a hot reboot shuts down the OS and restarts it, so it does not seem to me that the problem is with the driver.

This sounds more like a hardware problem.

Would you be willing to try an experiment?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes, sure!

what do you have in mind?

The GPU worked fine in windows 7 and 8 btw, which I tried a while
    back after I started this thread, just in case that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hmmmm. That may make the test pointless. I suspected a thermal component.

Let's try anyway.

Install the driver. Do a cold reboot. Instead of shutting down right away, let the machine run for 5 or 10 minutes to warm up and see if things are as they should be on a warm reboot from there.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the test made no difference. it ran for about 20 min while i was on this pc
    and a reboot changed nothing.

I did discover that closing the laptop lid and letting the laptop go into sleep mode,
    then opening the lid fixes all the glitches although the wallpaper shows sometimes
    and other times is a sort of static noise like on old tv screens, but the effects and
    interface still work without glitches.

btw: fglrxinfo shows a correct output without mesa errors or anything.
    Last edited by richierich1986; February 11th, 2015 at 07:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That is definitely intriguing!

Unfortunately I don't have a laptop with AMD graphics to do any testing on. The one I did have died, so some of its innards were repurposed.
    Last edited by QIII; February 11th, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So I've tried it a dozen more times and every time I boot or reboot the screen is distorted,
    while every time I close the lid and it goes into suspend and I open the lid again to wake
    from suspend, everything works fine. Really stable actually and the driver works very smoothly
    with lower GPU temps, slick graphics and no distortion.

It would seem like some wrong settings or something are loaded on boot which would be corrected
    when loading from suspend. This is a UEFI system by the way. Secure Boot is disabled and fast boot
    is enabled, but this seems to make no difference compared to normal boot and/or Secure Boot enabled.

anyone any experience with this laptop (toshiba c855-255) or maybe toshiba, uefi and ati chips in general?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New development today:

I noticed today that before suspend, after boot and login, in amdcccle the display type is LVDS,
    but after suspend it says it is a DDC display.

EDIT: nevermind. After a reboot, It still says DDC before and after suspend.

I've a link to the output of my Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/yebPPJGu
    Last edited by richierich1986; February 12th, 2015 at 10:09 PM.