Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth)

Put this:

hid_apple

in

/etc/modules

and reboot.

(You can use gedit if you aren't comfortable with VIM)

From experience- just play with it a little.

Sometimes Blueman works better depending on hardware.

Beans

thanks Lancest, that worked

One source of confusion was that your prior post (post #93 in this forum) suggested to add hid_apple to the etc/modules.conf file. That's why it wasn't working for me.

Anyway, working well now

So to be clear for others out there just place

hid_apple

in your etc/modules file

Now i must tackle getting the function keys to work.

Beans

hmmm. actually the function keys work fine but the media keys don't seem to do anything except for flashing a graphic on screen.

For example the eject key flashes an eject graphic on the screen but the cd tray does not eject. the volume keys also flash a graphic on the screen suggesting the volume is muted or increased or decreased but in reality the volume stays the same. The pause and fast forward/rewind keys don't do a thing.

I have selected the apple keyboard iso under the keyboard layout but this doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone else run into this?

Beans

It's starting to seem that every solution leads to a new problem. pffffffff!

now my apple wireless keyboard works in ubuntu after reboot as long as i reboot back into ubuntu. But i am dual booting and when i boot into Win7 the keyboard no longer works there until i pair the device again and enter in a new security code but then i will have to pair again in ubuntu when i go back.

finally i paired them both with the same pin number but that didn't solve the problem either. Anyone else dualboot with a bluetooth keyboard have this problem or a solution?

Beans

Hi all,

I've got the same problem with Apple Magic Mouse w/ Ubuntu 10.10 & W7 (x64).
    Every time I switch the OS, I must pair the mouse...

I've set the same "Friendly name" for the BT radio for Windows and Ubuntu. The passkey is the same : 0000

Any idea?

Many thanks!

Beans

@Webnickko: I solved the problem with dual booting with blue tooth and not having to pair the device every time i switch operating systems.

What you need to do is pair the device in windows and then look at the hex key for the pair in the windows registry and then copy that hex key to your /var/lib/bluetooth/linkkeys

this thread saved me ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1479056 ) but i'll walk you through exactly as i did.

First pair the device in Ubuntu and then open the following file:

sudo gedit /var/lib/bluetooth/00:00:00:00:00:00/linkkeys
    ***NOTE*** 00:00:00:00:00:00 is the address of your bluetooth pc/dongle (receiver) not your keyboard. Use your file browser and look into the /var/lib/bluetooth/ directory. There is probably only one folder which is the address of your bluetooth pc/dongle

Notice that within the linkkeys file it shows something like this:

11:11:11:11:11:11 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 6 6

****NOTE**** 11:11:11:11:11:11 is the address of your bluetooth device and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the 16 bit hex key that you are going to get from your windows registry and copy in its place. If you have more than one line in this file then you have more than one bluetooth device with a pairing key. You will have to figure out which is which. Blueman easily tells you which device is which.

Ok i just wanted to familiarize you with what we will be doing in ubuntu and since i'm not sure if that linkkeys file would be created without an initial pairing I had us start there.

Now for the real work!

Boot into windows and Pair the device again and make sure it is working. Now reboot windows **was an important step for me**

NOW WE NEED TO RUN REGEDIT UNDER THE SYSTEM ACCOUNT so nothing is hidden from us

to do this download this tool from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897553.aspx

unzip that file into a directory of your choice and run cmd.exe and change into the directory

type:

psexec -s -i regedit.exe

You will then run regedit as SYSTEM, and be able to find the link key entry from windows.

now go to:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\B THPORT\Parameters\Keys\
    There will be one more subfolder whose name i think is system specific. In that subfolder will be the hex key for your device. The name of the hex key will be the address of your keyboard ( 11:11:11:11:11:11 ) and the value of the hex key will be 16 pairs of numbers looking like this:
    xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx

This is the 16 bit Hex key. It doesn't let you copy and paste from here so export this specific registry file somewhere on your computer and then open up that exported file and copy and paste it into a text file and then remove all the the spaces so that it looks like:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now go into ubuntu

sudo gedit /var/lib/bluetooth/00:00:00:00:00:00/linkkeys

and replace the old hex key with the one you copied from windows registry into a text file and leave the rest the same. REMEMBER YOU NEED TO HAVE REMOVED THOSE SPACES in the hex key

11:11:11:11:11:11 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 6 6

All i had to do after that was unplug and reinsert by bluetooth dongle

CHEERS!!! and thanks to mbehensky and harbulot for solving this in the original post located here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1479056

***on a side note my eject key on the keyboard still doesn't do anything, haven't figured that one out yet***
    Last edited by HeinekenPissr; October 8th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Beans

Many THANKS HeinekenPissr!!!
    It works great!

You are like my mouse... Magic! ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I managed to make this work, by updating bluez to a newer version found in Brian Rogers repository.

Code:
    add-apt-repository ppa:brian-rogers/ppa
    apt-get update
    apt-get install bluez
    After this it paired at first time, however it looked like there ware multiple keypresses. After a reboot, it is working flawlessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth)

Hi folks,

Like everyone here I've got the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Everything was working in Ubuntu 10.04, but I thought I was supposed to have a newer version: 10.10. When I was upgrading the keyboard was still working, but when I rebooted and logged on it didn't work anymore.
    It does connect, but there only appears something on the screen when I'm typing numbers. To me it looks like Ubuntu says it's a number pad. Of course, I didn't buy it to use it as a number pad, so I asked you guys for some help.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've had success using Blueman bluetooth manager in machines where Gnome bluetooth (included with Ubuntu) did not seem to work.

You can install it along side and remove the one not needed.

Otherwise follow the instructions of this thread.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast