Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trusty Unicorn 14.04 gnome flashback with compiz top indicator still does not work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Trusty Unicorn 14.04 gnome flashback with compiz top indicator still does not work?

Just wondering why this LTS is at the 1 point release and the top right logout/restart/shutdown, etc. indicator still does not work

trusty gnome indicator.png

When I click logout or shutdown it does absolutely nothing. Suspend works I believe but why can I not logout/restart/shutdown by clicking on that.
    On Precise you click on shutdown and that brings up a window and on the left is restart and on the right is shutdown. That works. Why doesn't Trusty work?

I tried purging and reinstalling indicator applet complete to no avail.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy indicator-applet-complete
    indicator-applet-complete:
      Installed: 12.10.2+14.04.20140403-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 12.10.2+14.04.20140403-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 12.10.2+14.04.20140403-0ubuntu1 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    I shouldn't have to rely on Cairo Dock to logout, restart, etc.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 11th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Beans

Re: Trusty Unicorn 14.04 gnome flashback with compiz top indicator still does not wor

Not sure, works fine here.
    As in screen note I have Log Out, Restart & Shutdown options, the Restart & Shutdown open their own specific dialogs unlike an ubuntu session where both open the same 2 option dialog

Also see you don't have a guest option, did you remove it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; October 1st, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty Unicorn 14.04 gnome flashback with compiz top indicator still does not wor

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Not sure, works fine here.
    As in screen note I have Log Out, Restart & Shutdown options, the Restart & Shutdown open their own specific dialogs unlike an ubuntu session where both open the same 2 option dialog

Also see you don't have a guest option, did you remove it?
    That is odd as I installed Trusty on this partition after final release from the ISO.
    I have had restart appear randomly and then disappear. It hasn't been there in quite a while.
    I just thought it would eventually be fixed but not on my system.

Yes, I think I disabled the guest account.

Beans

might as well try a new user account to see..

side note:
    for ubuntu session (unity) there has been an on going issue with both restart & shutdown opening the same dialog with shutdown highlighted but that shouldn't have any effect on flashback.
    (in some 14.04 install in the unity session the restart option will disappear after 6-10 sec after login, on others it is always there. On one of my 14.04 installs it disappears, on the other it doesn't
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...14-07%3A33.mp4

Beans

Does the dialog from this work in your flashback?
    Code:
    dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager --type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Shutdown

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Does the dialog from this work in your flashback?
    Code:
    dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.SessionManager --type=method_call --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 /org/gnome/SessionManager org.gnome.SessionManager.Shutdown
    Yes that brought a box with suspend, shutdown, cancel and restart.

Screenshot from 2014-10-01 14:59:26.png

What does this mean?

On Utopic when I click shutdown, it takes me to a lightdm login screen. I can then click shutdown from the top right and then I see two boxes: the left is restart and the right is shutdown.

But on Trusty I don't even get that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I created another user and the icon in the top right looks like a fear and functions well when logged in as the new user.

shutdown button.png

The button on my logon looks like the power off icon you can add to the panel.

So if another user has full functionality of the button and I don't what do I do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So, I guess I'll just have to change my name to Peter?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Would purging indicator-applet-complete and it's config files then rebooting and adding it back help?
    Last edited by Cavsfan; October 5th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well I purged indicator-applet-complete, rebooted and logged into the other account I created.

Then I added it back and rebooted into the other account. Restart/Logoff/Shutdown no longer work on either login now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast