Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromixium - new Ubuntu based ChromeOS 'clone'

Beans

Chromixium - new Ubuntu based ChromeOS 'clone'

Hello all

I am pleased to announce a new downloadable live ISO of my new project Chromixium:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/the...es/Chromixium/

This is an attempt to recreate Chrome/ChromiumOS on a conventional desktop Linux base - in this case Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. This allows us to get over some of the shortfalls of the real ChromeOS, namely the ability to install on any hardware we want, ability to use any amount of local file storage, ability to install local applications (not just use webapps), ability to connect USB devices including printers... The interface is clean, modern and uncluttered whilst remaining fairly light, as it uses Openbox as the window manager. It is an almost exact replica of Chrome/ChromiumOS in look and feel:

A full announcement can be found on my website:
    http://linuxthemer.blogspot.com

...and more details are on the Sourceforge download page above.

This is very early days in this project and an ideal opportunity for anyone who would like to contribute in any way - technical, testing, artwork or just sharing your thoughts and ideas.

I hope someone out there likes it

Cheers
    RichJack

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Chromixium - new Ubuntu based ChromeOS 'clone'

Interesting. Any particular reason you're switching to Ubuntu? Seems like less trouble to run with Chromium OS and put back in the missing Gentoo pieces first.

If your goal is to provide stability but still have it largely replicate Chrome OS, I'd think moving to Debian would be good as it has stable packages for most of the kinds of software that people are calling for in Chrome OS (and, in fact, that's why I run Debian on my chromebook). Ubuntu seems like a good choice if you want to keep the look and feel of Chrome OS but provide more packages. I'd love to see Steam running on this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endlessinstant View Post
    Interesting. Any particular reason you're switching to Ubuntu? Seems like less trouble to run with Chromium OS and put back in the missing Gentoo pieces first.
    Debian based distros are what I know best. Plus I needed to recreate Chrome OS, rather than integrate the Ash desktop into regular Linux. I am already aware that you can run the Chrome development version in Linux and force the Ash desktop to appear, but that rather locks you into Chrome/Chromium - I'm not aware of a method of getting Ash to see non-Chrome apps. So for me, at least, hacking ChromeOS/Gentoo would definitely be more trouble!

Also, this project is really an extension of existing work that I have showcased on my blog - recreating the look of ChromeOS in XFCE, testing Docks within XFCE and creating a Debian based Xubuntu. In the end for this one, I veered away from XFCE, but it isn't ruled out indefinitely.

If your goal is to provide stability but still have it largely replicate Chrome OS, I'd think moving to Debian would be good as it has stable packages for most of the kinds of software that people are calling for in Chrome OS (and, in fact, that's why I run Debian on my chromebook). Ubuntu seems like a good choice if you want to keep the look and feel of Chrome OS but provide more packages. I'd love to see Steam running on this.
    Both - Stability and apps, which to my mind can be offered by Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS. But just now, it seems better to wait for feature freeze in Jessie before committing any further work on Debian testing and it would need pulling some packages from Experimental (notably Plank), so right now Ubuntu LTS seems the better option. Having said that I do intend to create a Debian build in due course, if just to see the difference in base size and performance.

But these are exactly the kind of discussions I want to have going forward to get the most out of this project so thanks for your prompt comments

I am not a big gamer, but I'd be interested to see how Steam performs on this set up - I might give it a whirl some time!

Beans

Chromixium - screenshots

Here are some screenshots to whet your appetites!

RichJack

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Light and it looks great, downloading now. Thanks!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Think I will also take it for a test drive. See how it compares to LXQt.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Awesome! I have been waiting for that kind of distro since the death of JoliOS. I have tried a chromebook and I really like the concept but indeed the OS is tied and locked into specific hardware. Since Chromium OS is open-source I was wondering why no one had considered making a real Linux distro out of it and attempt to make a ''Chrome OS for all PCs''.

I can only give you a big thumbs up for this and I hope your project becomes succesful! I will be following it closely.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; September 19th, 2014 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

Wow, this is awesome. Downloading it now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I work for a school that is planning the addition of a large cart of ChromeBooks. How cool would it be if the computer lab PCs ran the "same" OS?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Well I loaded it up and it works, thats about all I can say.
    Maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age.

Beans

Hello everyone

Thanks for all the excitement Remember, it's only an alpha and there will be a few teething problems, like this one...

If you want to install it in VirtualBox (or any hardware) do make sure you already have at least one partition and a partition table on your virtual hard drive. If you are starting a fresh virtual machine, you will need to do this, then you can use the installer to re-partition it.

If you don't want to use the command line, just install gparted using:

sudo apt-get update
    [type the password user]
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    Of course you can just use fdisk/cfdisk.

Alternatively, you can install the Ubuntu system installer by:

sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
    Or just use Synaptic to install these things (after reloading the package list).

I am going to start using the Sourceforge project page to track issues via the Tickets:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/theme-ix/tickets

Thanks all
    RichJack

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast