Thread: Updated Nvidia Drivers - Resulted in Flickering Display

Beans

Updated Nvidia Drivers - Resulted in Flickering Display

Not sure if "jerky" is the correct term to use here, but what is happening is that the window would autoscroll up and down really quickly. This seems to happen in Firefox and other windows as well, such as Nvidia's X Server Settings. I captured an example video showing the outcome here: http://youtu.be/Bp25Fyy_GsI

Notice how the tab selection keeps changing by itself without me selecting anything with the mouse or keyboard. Also hovering over different parts of the window will change the tab selection and the display. It's much worse when it happens in Firefox since I can't properly click on a link due to the page scrolling really quickly.

This started happening after I updated my video card driver for my GTX 560 Ti from 331.38 to 340.32 using the xorg-edgers PPA. I did the update by performing a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    . After which I performed a restart and installed the nvidia-340 package (also tried the 343 package and got the same results). Did I break something in the process? How do I fix it? Is there a way to at least reset whatever caused this back to default settings? I'm not sure what application or service is responsible for this display glitch.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I think flickering is a more appropriate word to describe the issue.

Using Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS with Nvidia GTX 560 Ti.

EDIT2: I think I found the fix. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...67/comments/22 so far so good. I'll update this if it starts flickering again. For those that are wondering, you need to install compizconfig first (sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager). Open it and go to workarounds and then place a check on Force full screen redraws (buffer swap) on repaint. DO NOT MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE! No restart necessary (at least for me).
    Last edited by mo13; September 12th, 2014 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Updated Nvidia Drivers - Resulted in Flickering Display

mo13, thank you for posting your fix.

This worked for me too (GTX 750 running on 14.10). Sometimes the launcher would flicker, and one app that always flickered was gmusicbrowser.

No flickering now with that compiz adjustment! Thanks again!
    C'est ma façon de parler.

Beans

Smile Re: Updated Nvidia Drivers - Resulted in Flickering Display

Quote Originally Posted by mo13 View Post
    EDIT2: I think I found the fix. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...67/comments/22 so far so good. I'll update this if it starts flickering again. For those that are wondering, you need to install compizconfig first (sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager). Open it and go to workarounds and then place a check on Force full screen redraws (buffer swap) on repaint. DO NOT MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE! No restart necessary (at least for me).
    In terminal you can run:
    >ccsm
    go to Workarounds as mentioned above and check "Force ...." on
    This helped me @100%!

Beans

This solved my problem i think in TTY7.
    TTY1 to TTY6 still flicker allso when i shutdown the screen flickers.

Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA -A 12
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF114M [GeForce GTX 670M] [10de:1213] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:fb18]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 48
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at c8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at cc000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e0c] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:ff1e]
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL | grep renderer
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 670M/PCIe/SSE2

Beans

This worked for me too sir. Thank you once again....

Not sure if "jerky" is the correct term to use here, but what is happening is that the window would autoscroll up and down really quickly. This seems to happen in Firefox and other windows as well, such as Nvidia's X Server Settings. I captured an example video showing the outcome here: http://youtu.be/Bp25Fyy_GsI

Notice how the tab selection keeps changing by itself without me selecting anything with the mouse or keyboard. Also hovering over different parts of the window will change the tab selection and the display. It's much worse when it happens in Firefox since I can't properly click on a link due to the page scrolling really quickly.

This started happening after I updated my video card driver for my GTX 560 Ti from 331.38 to 340.32 using the xorg-edgers PPA. I did the update by performing a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    . After which I performed a restart and installed the nvidia-340 package (also tried the 343 package and got the same results). Did I break something in the process? How do I fix it? Is there a way to at least reset whatever caused this back to default settings? I'm not sure what application or service is responsible for this display glitch.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I think flickering is a more appropriate word to describe the issue.

Using Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS with Nvidia GTX 560 Ti.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thumbs up Re: Updated Nvidia Drivers - Resulted in Flickering Display

This worked! Thank you!
    Connect with me: NorahAura
    Connect with My Company: tekAura

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04, an asus monitor & Radeon HD 8570D

Update: I was wrong, it did not work for me. It only stopped until the monitor locked. When It woke it up it started flickering again? Actually the flicker has turned into a longer blink.
    Last edited by theller; September 15th, 2015 at 07:20 PM.
    theller
    Windows Cleaner, Ubuntu User