Thread: Another success - GED2HTML

Beans

Another success - GED2HTML

Back in the early 2000's I paid for and downloaded a program online called GED2HTML, written by Gene Stark. It is highly configurable and creates web pages from a genealogy GEDCOM file. There are hooks for adding your own pages into it, so I have things like photo albums, marriage licenses, etc., all included in mine. I have always burned the output to a CD and sent it to relatives. Since going all-linux a few years ago (at least on this PC) I haven't had a need to run it. Updates to information were made and now I needed to run it again. Well, all I had to do was change my file names as I had upper case for the names which didn't matter in Windows but obviously does in Linux. The only other difference is how to run it. I installed wine and am using it to run it, but if you click on it in a file manager and have it opened by wine, the GUI will show but I haven't actually gotten the output created that way - still working on that. However, if I open terminal and go to the corresponding directory, I can "wine ged2html", the gui comes up, and when I select "Go" you can see the progress in the terminal window and it does create the output. Very simple, and perfect!

Beans

Re: Another success - GED2HTML

BTW - if anyone out there is using this set of programs to create web pages, I have some tools to build a CD with a menu across the top including help pages with each individual on their own page with their own notes, hooks to add other individual-specific things like extra document images, picture "albums", etc.. I use it that way rather than post the information to the net. I send CD's to my family members and they have everything I have in my family history program on my PC but in a much easier format.