Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Windows is for Gaming, Mac for Creative and Linux for Servers" - What do you think?

Beans

"Windows is for Gaming, Mac for Creative and Linux for Servers" - What do you think?

Okay, first, sorry for the provocative title, but I want to start a (kind of) provocative discussion...

tl;dr: What is your opinion of what each OS is uniquely suited for and what is the "urban legend/common thought" about that OS

Long version:
    First, a bit about me (sorry, boring, but kind of relevant). I'm a person that is fond of the saying "put your money where your mouth is", usually the "money" being more figurative than actual money, but you get my drift. For example, I understand why some people don't like Apple (at all), but I hold no respect for the "Apple-haters" that have not even used any of their products. (How do you know you "hate" something, if you don't know scrap about it?) Same thing goes for Android/iOS/Windows Phone and all other stuff. Because of this, I've always used (and at least tried to use) multiple operating systems to various degrees. I have been in positions through my life where I have received (for free) OLD computers and I've used those with varying degrees of success. I started with CP/M, and went through DOS and Commodore's thingy to Windows and beyond.
    And, because it can't be stated enough, I loved, LOVED BeOS. That 's the first time I really "fell in love" with another OS than what was my "mainstay" at that moment.

Anyway, what has always puzzled me, has been people's attitude towards some of the choices. For example the "Linux is so difficult to install" -myth. Yes, once upon a time that was true. So it was with Windows, but people don't remember it. Then it just stuck. Ubuntu was "difficult" to install back in the day. But with the "recent" (yeah, we've had graphical installs for years) installers, Linux is actually easier to install than Windows. But then people hold these ideas that some OSes are uniquely suited for something or the other. Is this true all around the world? Do you bump into this line of thinking day in day out?

Of course, there is some truth to all of this. Windows is (currently) uniquely suited for gaming - but for the simple reason that games are available to it, exclusively. NOT because Windows, in itself is more capable gaming platform than, say, Linux Mint. (It *MIGHT* be, I have no idea of the underlying frameworks that make out the systems, but I would think that that's not the case.) Same with Apple, more or less. Mac is thought to be more suited for creative folk, simply because more of that kind of software is marketed out loud for that platform.

So, the start of the discussion is: Are individual operating systems uniquely suited for some form of computing, or are they really practically the same, just the choices of applications framing the use? Are there really deeply-set "opinions" about each OS so people choose them not by what the system can do, but what is marketed for it?
    (Again, this is true to a point, you can't really use a Linux-based OS for serious/professional graphical work, because you don't have access to Adobe's library. You COULD make all of that with GIMP % Co, but good luck finding a company willing to do that.)

Also, you can think of this from another point. Say your friend/acquaintance asks you the question "So, I installed Linux on my computer... what now?"

In *MY* mind, Windows is for gaming (because I have most of my games on that platform), Mac is for graphical work (my tablet works on Mac, and for ME, Windows crashes entirely too much to do any serious business with. Also I like the aesthetics.) And Linux is for "serious" work and doing stuff where I don't want the OS to interfere with what I'm doing. (YES, I want to partition that 8Gb disk as 4Gb. No I don't care that I lose half of it, I NEED it in FAT16, shut the EFF up!.) And cases where the computer is not up to standards (Linux is way, WAY lighter than Windows), and for servers. I will never, ever, EVER again want to install and configure a Windows Server if I can help it, but I can have a barebones Debian server up and running in 20mins if you need, thanks

So, what do You think? Any opinions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: "Windows is for Gaming, Mac for Creative and Linux for Servers" - What do you thi

Thread moved to Ubuntu/OS Chat.

Best to do it here. Other OS & Projects is a support forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "Windows is for Gaming, Mac for Creative and Linux for Servers" - What do you thi

Rubbish! I only do one kind of provocation.

The people who write computer games do so to make money. Therefore, they write for the OS that is most widely installed. Games developers code for the latest hardware. It makes their games look good. The Microsoft operating system is known for requiring ever more powerful hardware with each release of the OS. So, I would not say that Microsoft Windows is especially suited for gaming, let alone uniquely suited.

There is nothing intrinsically stopping Linux from doing everything that can be done on a Microsoft or Apple machine. Hardware is hardware and machine code is machine code. People's perceptions are another matter. And it is all a matter of perception and what you can buy off the shelf.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Back in the day I spent $3000.00 on a PowerMac only to find I could not upgrade the video card. Everything for Apple costs money, there is almost no freeware. There wasn't even as many choices as my Linux system had.

When Windows XP came out they started using online authentication. After tinkering with my computer I would have to authenticate online again. After a few times it would no longer authenticate because I did it too many times, and I had to call Microsoft who wanted to know why. I told them it was my computer bought with my money and it wasn't any of their business, after which I made a frisbee out of my XP CD and installed Mandrake.

Most people are clueless about operating systems. They buy something and use it. They could not care less about it as long it works. Apple and Microsoft are best suited for fleecing sheeple of their money. Linux is best suited for people who want more from their computing experience.

Bloggers are just like the talking heads on TV spouting whatever brainless mantra they think will sell more ad space. You can't listen to the blather online. You have to make up your own mind and do what's best for you.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    (snip)... Hardware is hardware and machine code is machine code. People's perceptions are another matter. And it is all a matter of perception and what you can buy off the shelf.
    This. I think this is the most prominent reason why anyone chooses most of the things - what's currently available without it getting difficult.
    I don't think there's nothing technical stopping any OS from "doing it all", but as they stand currently, there ARE logical reason for picking up A over B.

If you're running either an older computer, headless server or you need that computer for one simple reason - I think you're way better off choosing a linux distro than installing full-blown Windows/Mac OS. A text-based Debian (for example, I just happen to like Deb) doesn't take much resources and can be deployed in a very short time and can also be managed remotely via SSH quite easily. That cannot be said about a Win/Mac machine.

I think there's much more that linux can do, that it cannot do. As in there are much more things that linux is better than there is things Mac/Win is better at. You can't really customize a Win/Mac installation (you can to a point, but...), but you certainly can with linux, almost regardless of the distro in question.

However, if you want to do something "main-stream" (Edit videos/images commercially, play games, do office work (within a company)), you're probably much better off with a Win/Mac than a linux. That said, you can - probably - do everything with linux, just with a couple of caveats. With gaming/graphics, you're just simply limited by available software (a commendable amount of games work on linux presently, but there just isn't ports of Photoshop / FinalCut / etc..), but with office-work, you're limited by (dumb) corporate policies, most probably. (We will only use version x.y.z of Office 888, because that's what we have always used. You know what I mean.)

But, disregarding that, are there any *other* reasons you'd pick one OS over another? Say you've got two computers and can select any operating systems to install (let's assume both computers are compatible with all OSes), which two would you choose? Or would you dual/multi-boot one or both of them and why? If you don't play games, are there any reasons to install Windows on a workstation over linux/Mac OS? (servers and "controllers" I can understand, there are a bazillion old computers running some instance of an obscure old software that controls a mission-critical machine and will not ever see an upgrade, ridiculously many still running DOS.)

Me, if I need to have something important done, I'm either booting that computer or moving to another one with some other OS than Windows. It might just be me, but I feel like I trust the computer more if it's running linux or Mac OS. But that's just what I mean, we divide and sort computers/OSes by what impressions we have of them, and then rarely change those. Which is weird, in my opinion, because we don't do that with any other objects in our lives (or at least I don't).

EDIT; I see you replied while I was writing

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Rubbish! I only do one kind of provocation.

The people who write computer games do so to make money. Therefore, they write for the OS that is most widely installed. Games developers code for the latest hardware. It makes their games look good. The Microsoft operating system is known for requiring ever more powerful hardware with each release of the OS. So, I would not say that Microsoft Windows is especially suited for gaming, let alone uniquely suited.

There is nothing intrinsically stopping Linux from doing everything that can be done on a Microsoft or Apple machine. Hardware is hardware and machine code is machine code. People's perceptions are another matter. And it is all a matter of perception and what you can buy off the shelf.

Regards.
    Agreed. This reminds me - I think most "Basic Users" (meaning who watch cat videos off of YouTube, browse Facebook and read mail) would probably not even KNOW what OS they're running on at any given time - it just doesn't matter to them. It's only when you need something more specific than "basic use" when you start to question the system you're using.

ps. About that Windows... yeah, I know. I just today installed Win7 and Xubuntu 14.04 on a computer. While that Xubuntu took some gigs when ready, Win7 required 30Gb after updates. THIRTY Gigs of HDD space JUST for the OS. That's hilarious. And that is just OS, no office programs, nothing (well, Chrome, Steam and Logitech's Mouse drivers). While a common linux distro will happily live in a 8Gb partition INCLUDING said office software.
    Last edited by AnttiV; September 8th, 2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: replying to another post also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's an old cliche with little meaning.

Windows dominates in games because it is the dominate consumer OS and game writers make games to sell. Like anyone making software to sell, they're wise to sell into the biggest market. Their loyalty is to sales, not Windows.

Back in the day, Apple hardware delivered advantages that designers and others couldn't find in Windows boxes. Those difference are gone. Apple also deliberately marketed to those buyers, while Microsoft and PC box makers marketed to business and consumers.

Linux is very strong on the server side, for reasons of quality and cost. The doesn't negate its effectiveness as a desktop any more than IIS does that for Windows.

Beans

I would love to be able to use linux full time but I cant. About 12 years ago I had an HP printer that didnt have any drivers for linux available and guess what? I installed ubuntu 14.04.1 and now my Canon printer doesnt have linux drivers either!!

So I am not lucky enough to have linux work with my hardware so I can use it full time, couldnt years ago and ca t now either! Doesnt matter if it was Suse 8.x or 10.x, Mint x or Ubuntu x.x! I have to be able to print!

As someo e said here, I do feel safer running Mac or linux and wojld use either but there are Mac issues thatmprevent full time use also but that is for another thread! LOL

EDIT: I am not looking for support, just stating a reason why I cant use linux full time!
    Last edited by 4mike2; September 9th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We are always going to run into problems with drivers for inexpensive consumer grade printers. Spend a few extra dollars, and purchase a printer designed for office usage, they may cost a little more, but the benefits far outweigh the extra cost. I currently have an Epson R340 and a Brother HL-5250DN. When I purchased it the Epson it cost over $350.00 and after quite a few years and several cases of paper it's still going strong. I received the Brother laser printer from a customer because the drum counter couldn't be reset, but after 5 years of usage, it still runs without any problems. Both printers are automatically detected and the drivers are automagically installed without any user intervention.

As far as operating systems are concerned, all three have their benefits, I've used and still use WIndows but rarely enough to have an actual installation on the hard drive. I have both WIndows 7 and 8 installed in VMs. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a collection of Macs going back to the original Classic, I also didn't use them enough to warrant all the space they took up, though I have to admit, that I did enjoy using OSX and found that much of what I have learned using a Linux distribution was transferable to it's administration. My preference is to use Ubuntu for day to day usage, and on my home file server, more because I'm more familiar with their usage, than anything else.

Beans

The same goes for practically any device, cheap and only-for-consumers devices will only have Windows driver, in some cases (like generic USB audio) the OSes themselves have drivers for the devices. But there's again a difference between the OSes: You can pretty much find any first-part Windows driver for almost any device out there - but come next windows version, it will probably cease to function (or at least require hoops to run through to get working / not working fully with all features). Find the driver for Mac and it will work across multiple OS version, having just a few barriers that may, or may not have anything to do with the OS, but with hardware (68k vs PPC vs Intel, for example). Find driver for linux, and it will pretty much work across the board, not only within the same distro but everywhere. There are apparently some barriers there too (kernel versions, I presume), but very, very few compared to Windows and even Mac.

Mac is in an unique position in that there's only so much hardware the first-party needs to support - thus anything that works (and is officially supported), works well and functionality is very well integrated, mostly the user doesn't need to bother with any drivers (or even installation). A good example will be 10.10 (Yosemite)'s integration and interoperability of iPhone functions and apps. If you want a similar feature in Windows or Linux, you really have to work for it, even then, I don't think most of those are possible (yet).

One (big) thing why I love linux comes from my love of tinkering with any settings I can find - and the fact that even though I'm used to certain interfaces, I like multiple ones and I love to see/test new interfaces: Linux allows me to just install a new DE, logout, login and then have a go at it - that's just NOT possible on Windows/Mac. Yes, it is possible to change the window decorations on Windows (probably Mac? Haven't ever tried), but you can't change the whole DE. (Just the Look from Look & Feel).

Also, it might just be me, but I just love the fact how FAST linux is advancing. Windows is (pretty much) the same as it has been since 98/NT (except the recent set-back of usability called Metro... I detest that thing.) in terms of interface and features available to the user. There are many improvements, but not THAT many. Mac has had a significant number of "eye-candy" features with a few really good ones (While I personally don't use it at the moment, Time Machine is a wonderful feature for many people). But compare Linux to what it was when OSX came out and Windows 2000/XP were prevalent - my goddess, but we've come far. Not to say that linux was any BAD back then, but it wasn't - shall we say - (dumb) user friendly always, back then The fact that many (MANY) functions/features were terminal-only was a pretty big (ok, HUGE) setback for the common user. It doesn't matter if all you need to run is fsck, but the fact that you need to open terminal and type anything WILL turn people away from it. (heck, back then we didn't even have graphical installers...)

Getting back on trail (eh, too late); I've found a couple of uniquely-suited roles for the OSes in what I do and have - Linux is a very good way of "resurrecting" older computers that don't have any chances of running with the latest Windows versions. I just recently installed linux (elementary OS) on a laptop that was on the "throw this away, unless someone (me) figures out how it can run again" -pile. Namely, it was running XP and was slow as molasses doing it.

Mac, on the other hand, is very good for a first computer (even better if the person haven't had any experience with computers before), it is easy and I can safe say that the person can't "break" it easily - the system won't allow you to delete system-critical data, even with admin account (at least it didn't when I last checked). Unless of course the computer is for gaming - then Windows, because, well, the games just aren't available on Mac and wine is really not perfect a solution for that.

Sorry, I'm just rambling, but I love this subject

ps. hoping this will not change into a support thread, but I just HAVE to reply to that printer situation.. Like cariboo907 said, it far, FAR outweights the extra cost to get a decent printer in the first place. At least with lasers, if you get a one that understands PostScript, you're pretty much set for the life of the device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

hoping this will not change into a support thread, but I just HAVE to reply to that printer situation..
    How about doing something about that then - maybe starting a suitable support thread somewhere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast