Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Someone is accesing my pc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Someone is accesing my pc

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    Isn't this what complete disk encryption (such as LUKS) is supposed to make very difficult? (*)

(*) Yes they can play with the boot partition, but it is also possible to boot first from a USB key to check that the boot partition hasn't been tampered with.
    or have the boot partition on USB key and boot from USB key. when away just take the USB key out and computer is useless then unless they know how to crack the encryption
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    Possibly putting a bios level password would help! While that can be overcome by resetting the bios usually by a jumper on the mother board it will slow down and frustrate folks who are pranking you.

@cacahuatey You mentioned family and neighbors and wifi ... perhaps I missed the answer, but is this wifi connection secured by a password? Is it public?
    Sorry for the late reply, i have been too busy last days and forgot this.
    Wifi is not public, and it has a password, but i think that my sister could have gave it to my neighboors.
    How is that, putting a bios level pass?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    Are they messing with ypur computer while you're working on it? Or do they mess with it when you are away from it?

If it's the latter, then as someone else mentioned, full disk encryption + lock the computer inside of a cabinet or something when you leave.
    It ONLY happens when i'm working on it. I have it on almost all day and night and never happens when i'm away, and i'm sure they are making it, cos they laugh every time. (my neighboors)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    or have the boot partition on USB key and boot from USB key. when away just take the USB key out and computer is useless then unless they know how to crack the encryption
    It is a good idea, but problem is the mess with it while im using it. I'm gonna try to lock my door when i go out to see if they can cahnge my firewall configuration anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is a good idea, but problem is the mess with it while im using it.
    I understand, but what occurred prior to your using it? If folks have physical access to an unprotected computer they can reload / reactivate anything they choose.
    How is that, putting a bios level pass?
    Usually on power up depressing a certain key (F2 on my machines) will present the bios setup; you need to look for security (do NOT use the same password as wifi). Setting a bios level password should prevent most folks from booting your device.
    Wifi is not public, and it has a password, but i think that my sister could have gave it to my neighboors.
    I strongly suggest changing the password; give it to your sister AFTER she requests and counsel her not to share it.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This has gone beyond what people can do with software. We can do nothing about any issues you have outside of software.

You've been given good advice, that that and do it.

Thread closed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345