Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello....newbie here. 14.04 crashing and no way out apart from cold re-boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hello....newbie here. 14.04 crashing and no way out apart from cold re-boot

ok.....thanks for your advice. I'll let you know. gonna try some app combinations.......now 50 mins with no issues. Typical!

I'm in the UK, so only going to be up for another two hours or so before shut-eye

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This should help to reboot if it happens again so you do not have to do a hard reboot.
    http://blog.kember.net/articles/reis...linux-restart/

Also the next time it freezes look at the log files with these commands to see if you can narrow it down.

Code:
    sudo tail -n100 /var/log/syslog
    sudo tail -n100 /var/log/kern.log

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

cheers Wild Man...& QIII

update - 01:06 hrs and no hitch

logs seem the best way to go rather than bouncing in and out of apps I have to say

seems as though I am in good company

will update when I can

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There are many people here that can read the log files, I am probably not going to available long, I am drinking stuff to prepare for two surgical procedures in the morning so I have my hands full.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks...and I hope tomorrow goes well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs up Re: Hello....newbie here. 14.04 crashing and no way out apart from cold re-boot

Warm re-boot (Alt+SysRq while slowly typing REISUB) is now working great. Now time to tackle all the other stuff that's going on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12