Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Migrating Anti Virus Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Migrating Anti Virus Software

Let say for example, during the deployment, there is incident of virus spread through network.What is the best practice/ SOP to handle this issues. Have any standard to follow?
    If the only security product you have in the environment is AV, then let AV quarantine and remove the infections. I can't imagine what else you could realistically do.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by term3 View Post
    Hi SeijiSensei,
    Just additional info, i will set the policy of the AV for device blocking for some user.
    How you disable USB in your environment?
    If you're not filtering email attachments at all then I don't really see the point of blocking USB ports. It would just encourage users to email themselves the malware instead of transfer it via USB stick.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    If you're not filtering email attachments at all then I don't really see the point of blocking USB ports. It would just encourage users to email themselves the malware instead of transfer it via USB stick.
    I absolutely agree that you should start by filtering email before you do anything else. Still there is malware that can hide on a USB stick and runs with Autostart. That kind won't be transferred by email.

I wasn't responsible for managing the USB ports. I believe you can disable them using Active Directory policies.

To give you a sense of how pervasive infected email remains, the mail filtering software for that organization I mentioned with some 200+ users intercepted 69 infected messages just yesterday alone. We use MailScanner with spamassassin and ClamAV to scan every message when it arrives. Clean items are then forwarded to the organization's Exchange server.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 27th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

In our organization that is seen as highly critical and also very much targeted USB's have been disabled from working on the PC's period. When the IT Dept. needs to do something that can't be done via the network they have to use written CD/DVD's...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    In our organization that is seen as highly critical and also very much targeted USB's have been disabled from working on the PC's period. When the IT Dept. needs to do something that can't be done via the network they have to use written CD/DVD's...
    I agree it's critical. If the OP isn't going to do anything other than run AV on endpoints then I see it a little bit like filling the door and window in on this castle:
    image.jpg
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12