Thread: Ubuntu 12.04, Python and serial data.

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04, Python and serial data.

Using the Serial Terminal Program, with the same port, I can send data to the micro and
    it works as expected. But, when attempting to use a Python script and pyserial module, no data is
    transmitted to the micro. This verified using a scope on the micro's receive data RS-232 line. Using the
    Serial Teminal Program, the micro displays the correct information and also is observed at the receive data line as just mentioned.

I can not figure out what else must be done to allow data to be transmitted using the python script.
    The script is based on example(s) from different online searches and the pyserial web site.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and python 2.73.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/bin/env/ python 

import serial 
     import os 

ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0',9600, timeout =1) 
     ser.open() 

print ser.portstr       # check which port was really used 
     ####  ser.portstr prints /dev/ttyUSB0   ####
     s="1234\n" 

#Note: neither ser.write sends data to module. 
     ser.write("1234\n")     # write a string 
     ser.close()                   # close port 

""" Note: I have a miro based external hardware module that displays  numerical data received  
     at the external device serial port. It test excellent using a serial term program. 
      I would have thought this would be a simple write ?
    I also attached the code in the GEDIT format that runs the python script just in case the snippet embedded is a problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 12.04, Python and serial data.

I don't see your code catching any return code or counts of bytes written that could explain things.

The pyserial doc says close() closes the port immediately, and curiously there is also a flush() method, so calling flush() before close() is worth a try.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans

Well, I was only attempting to transmit four bytes and not needing to receive anything. Does not the ser.write() send out the
    argument in the call? Any return code would only send data back if the python script sent data in the first place (?).
    I noticed that the
    Code:
    print ser.portstr
    prints what appears to be the correct information. That was just to verify that the correct port is the port that opened. Do you have a simple example to just transmit out a few bytes?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eightbits2010 View Post
    Well, I was only attempting to transmit four bytes and not needing to receive anything. Does not the ser.write() send out the
    argument in the call? Any return code would only send data back if the python script sent data in the first place (?).
    I noticed that the
    Code:
    print ser.portstr
    prints what appears to be the correct information. That was just to verify that the correct port is the port that opened. Do you have a simple example to just transmit out a few bytes?
    It is fairly frequent for I/O libraries to buffer things and do the actual output only when the buffer is full, or when a line-end character is identified in the data. When they do so there is usually some flush() call to force the immediate output of the current buffer contents. I don't know pySerial, but there is a flush() method, so it could be buffering output, and adding a flush() in the code to check that out is fairly trivial, so I would look no further. If adding flush() doesn't work, then I would envision digging further. pySerial being open source, it is easy to check the code...
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans

ofnuts: I posted the short script which includes:
    Code:
     ser.write("1234\n")
    Isn't "\n" the newline which I thought would indicate send the data out ?

Beans
    Distro

Only if the output is line-buffered... Why have you not tried flush() yet? Some kind of taboo?

Beans

I will give ser.flush(). It was not included in an example of code as I recall was from pyserial web site.
    I will give that a try and post if any change. I have used serial devices for a long time and never had to flush the transmit buffer
    to send out serial data. Usually it was applicable to clear a buffer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm learning pySerial right now, too. In my experience so far, flushing the buffer is not necessary to send the data to the device.

In the examples you've seen, is the write command immediately followed by close? Serial ports are slow. Maybe it gets closed before it manages to send anything? Try adding a wait (for example, with time.sleep()) before closing the port.
    Die writing: I write crazy things
    PhD Wander: I write crazy things about my travels
    RedScout: Lenovo 3000 C100, 1.5GHz Celeron M, 1.25GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Beans

A lot of progress. I discovered that i needed to use:
    Code:
    ser.write("1234/r/n")
    and then the script
    transmitted the data. So I guess the "/n/r" instead of the '/n' was required but not sure why. Another issue seems to be
    with the way that the external device, a Atmel AVR device handles the data it receives. I could not remember everything
    I had programmed or why .
    In the script, if I reset the micro external device and then execute the python script, it will display the data as sent.
    However, in the script, if I send another ser.write(), it doesn't display and that is not the problem with the Python
    code as far as I can tell. I did find the original C code for the external micro, but going through it again was torture .
    The micro program was coded in 2009 and I was using a lower cost C compiler (ICCAVR). I had modified the origianal
    code to interface with a AutomationDirect PLC serial port and had kept tweaking it to faithful display the PLC serial data
    which was always sent as a four byte sequence.

Also, I noticed that the script seemed to work by using a loopback plug to the Ubuntu serial port which is a USB-serial
    port. I think I will stop worrying about it for the time being, getting too old to wrestle with the C complier which only
    runs under windows anyhow.

Thanks for the responses and sugestions.