Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't hear iheartradio on Lubuntu, but can on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't hear iheartradio on Lubuntu, but can on Ubuntu

You're welcome. Now is your turn to help people with old hardware
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You're welcome. Now is your turn to help people with old hardware
    Yes - I have bookmarked the page for the older flash version.
    The desktop with the Lubuntu 14.04.1 is actually someone elses. The previously installed Windows XP had many glitches going on with it, and wasn't playing the flash videos, either, so I've been helping someone all along.
    It's running quite nicely now with a new operating system on it. The system monitor is showing only 11% (or 4.4 GB) of the 40 GIG hard drive being used after all being installed. I deleted some applications, and added others.
    Another dinosaur rides again (thanks to all of us)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoremove might free even more space.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks again! I did do the sudo apt-get clean, but opted to pass on the sudo apt-get autoremove for the moment. Not sure if I might screw something up, so I left that one alone.
    I also bookmarked the old hardware link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Back to the iheartradio correspondence -
    I had asked them the following question, "I can't listen to iheartradio using a flash player. I could if you had the HTML5 option. Why don't you have the HTML5 option?"
    This is their reply:
    Gareth, iHeartRadio Guru replied:
    Hello Brian,
    Thank you for your message. Are you attempting to play a station from a standalone flash player? Please be aware that iHeartRadio does not currently support players of this nature, however, the iHeartRadio webpage does require the use of Flash Plugins to stream. You can always listen to iHeartRadio by visiting us on the web at www.iheart.com. I hope this helps, but let us know if you need anything further!
    They basically skirted over the HTML5 part completely. I take it that they have no intention on offering an HTML5 option anytime soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If autoremove were dangerous I wouldn't have posted it. Quite the opposite, it's a polite procedure which warns and waits for your confirmation before anything is deleted.

If you want to run 14.04 for the whole three years of support you will end up with lots of space wasted by old kernels. Remember that the hard disk is small.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for a more detailed explanation on "sudo apt-get autoremove". I had googled it, and found several links to posts stating to be very cautious when using the command, so I opted against doing it.
    I'd just got that desktop running smoothly, and opted not to risk removing something by mistake.
    Just before giving it back to my coworker/friend, I did check the amount of HD disk space being used, and it's now at 10%, or 4GB, which is unreal (os install, applications, etc.). I couldn't be happier with this low number.
    I have made a mental note on the autoremove command, however, and may use it at some point in the future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123