Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just installed Ubuntu and the internal keyboard doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Just installed Ubuntu and the internal keyboard doesn't work

If you put your windows disc in and it lets you use the keyboard during install, then your problem is linux, if it doesnt work then its a dead keyboard or improperly seated connection to the zif cable connector.

So you don't go reinstalling unnecessarily.
    Last edited by |{urse; August 21st, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

sang-gyegmx.de; Humm, like this

All linux distributions are based on the same same kernel, it is highly unlikely that any other distro will function any different.

Changing the kernel: Nope, not a good solution for someone unfamiliar with linux, as that leads to no sponsored support.

Building the driver: Well, can be done with good guidance - that ain't me as I have yet to have that experience ( lucky !).

And who is the developer? How do we know someone is still interested?
    Join the thread, ask an intelligent question, and await the response.

And yes the possibility does exist that the incorrect driver has been loaded. There is " gma500" and also "gma500_gfx "; gma500_gfx is for the Poulsbo card and gma500 is for the cedarview one. The kernel can make mistakes, though rare.
    We might explore that possibility and find out which card you have.

I am sorry, I am not clearly seeing any solutions
    If there were easy solutions we would not be at this point.

Tentatively I say, If you are not willing or able to put forth the effort that it may take to make this work, then yes put Windows back on the system .... better yet, both ! .. Dual boot and at your leisure seek the solution that fits your use-case for the gma500 problem.

Now that said, I am but one of about 1600 persons. Give it some time and see what others here can and do advise.

I do not mean to be either curt nor rude nor unsympathetic, with the gma500 card I just do not have a solution. I will support you in what ever course you decide is in your best interest. I have not been there and I just do not know.

this is one of those rare times
    I just do not know
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The gma500 driver is now in the default kernels of most ditros and for the most part works out of the box, although performance is a bit laggy (the gma500 is not a power house on windows either IMHO).

Take care with that old gma500 thread as one of the developers was at one point in time giving advice that I could never reproduce. Some of the advic ewas resulting in broken systems. The most up to date information is located at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

You will see not much has changed as the driver , over time, moved out of the experimental phase and into stable. The Ubuntu (and most other distros) updated the default kernel to load the driver as a module.

Unfortunately the gma500 and similar cards are a bit long I the tooth and kernel development as stopped. Thus there is nothing new with the driver.

At any rate , the gma500 driver has to do with the graphics card and not the keyboard.

Assuming the keyboard is working, try running from a live usb drive and select an alternate keyboard layout or simply go with the defaults.

The keyboard is set in the initramfs using console-data and keyboard-configuration

See - also - http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Keyboard-Layout-in-Ubuntu and http://askubuntu.com/questions/36037...tions-in-13-10
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

@bodhi.zazen; heaps thanks !
    Takes a load off me.

For My education: Is not the keyboard as well as the graphics controlled by Xorg, such that the keyboard interface is also a component of the graphics driver ? Relating from the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

respectfully
    always open to learning better

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

@bodhi.zazen; Thank you so very much for checking in on me. That means a lot. And yes, everything was really slow under Windows, which is why my friend wanted to switch. He was hoping it'll be faster under Ubuntu. Not sure that he'll find that that's the case. Maybe there is a way to tweak the installation a bit.
    @Bashing-om; Thank you for your very kind and patient support so far.
    @|{urse; thanks for the tip ....

And now @all: ... I have no idea how and why, because apart from browsing different forums and google the same question in 100 ways, I didn't do anything else but stare at the screen, restart, retry, switch into terminal, try to get out (which I didn't), staring some more .... now the keyboard works. I am able to log into the desktop. When the keyboard first responded in desktop mode, I received an error after login. Something along the lines 'Sorry there is a system error. Restart and try again. Do you want to send report?" Which is what I did. And now .... Holy moly, I am able to start Firefox and do a search.

Again ... I have no idea what happened, I can only attribute it to divine intervention and I am enough of a theist that I will.

Sang-gye

Beans
    Distro

sang-gyegmx.de; Outstandingly great news !

OK, how is the action , is ubuntu fast enough on that box ? - rule of thumb if Windows was slow - the top-of-the-line ubuntu will be also, it takes the horse power to run ubuntu.
    If so, a better alternative will be Lubuntu or Xubunu. Different desktops and much less resource hungry than ubuntu.
    ( I have a personal preference for xfce (xubuntu) because it is light weight, FAST, and highly configurable )

None the less
    we can now say
    welcome to our world

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Hi Bashing-om,

thanks for the welcome. Got my share of beans within the last 2 days, that's for sure ...

I think it's still slow, but my friend was really, really happy with the outcome. He says it's fast and he will try it out with skype. It was the fact that skype froze on him on a regular basis with his windows installation that he wanted to switch. (How can they sell a netbook that doesn't play youtube videos and can't handle a video chat ?????) So, skype working or not working will make or break it. If that doesn't work, I will try xubuntu. I also talked to my bro, who supports networks in Germany. He recommended open SUSE, but admitted that he hasn't worked with Linux in a while.

Thanks again, Bashing-om .... delight meeting you.

Sang-gye

Beans
    Distro

sang-gyegmx.de; Hey hey ;

Well, just glad to assist, and pleased things are working out.
    Download and burn to disk both xubuntu and Lubuntu see which you/your friend like.

Then when you are comfortable with 'buntu ->
    For something really FAST, lightweight and customized, you will do a core-install and install exactly what/how you like.

As this matter is concluded, please mark this thread solved.
    Top of post -> thread tools

'buntu
    you 'can' have it your way
    Last edited by Bashing-om; August 23rd, 2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: solved !

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123