Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Difference between new users and veterans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Difference between new users and veterans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Some new Linux users try to do things on Linux the way they did them on Microsoft Windows. Veterans gave up on that years ago, or never expected it to work the same in the first place.

Some new users have difficulty understanding the difference between disk drives and partitions. Veterans are familiar with the difference.
    New user: I installed Ubuntu on my C drive and it deleted my D drive. How do I get my photos, ... back.

Some veterans here started using computers before Microsoft, Apple, or Linux existed.
    Well; I count myself a Linux newbie....only been using it since May. BUT; I agree with Old Grey Wolf's last statement. I've been using computers since the tail end of the 70's....Commodore's Vic-20 & C64 come to mind, as do Sinclair's ZX 80 & 81. In that respect, at least, I count myself a veteran. With machines in those days, to do ANYTHING at all, you had no choice but to write your own software...!

Consequently, I'm not really 'frightened' of the terminal.....just cautious.

BTW, I remember a friend in secondary school getting a four-function calculator for Xmas 1974. Within 3 months, he had got to the point where he couldn't add 2+2 without it...

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; August 23rd, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    BTW, I remember a friend in secondary school getting a four-function calculator for Xmas 1974. Within 3 months, he had got to the point where he couldn't add 2+2 without it...
    I recall seeing a cartoon in a magazine, which showed a job candidate at an interview. The rather exasperated interviewer was asking the question: "Look, _______, if I give you five calculators and then take away three of them, how many have you got left?"
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And yes having gone through TI-30, 33, 57, 58, and 59 in high school--I could program the thing to calculate PI to 1,000 places and it only took overnight to do it. Now those calculators had small red numbers and tiny rubber feet. Neckbeards and linux were still 15 years away!
    Last edited by tgalati4; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

Using one of these things at my father's office, I learned that 37*27=999

http://web.telia.com/~u13101111/odhner.html

Maybe 15 years later, my first contact with an electronic computer was via punched cards, and I said that I would never want to work with computers. It was way too frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I trim my flowing ear hair and nose hair regularly ... unless I'm in the mood for braiding it.
    I suppose I'm a veteran in the sense that I've got the benefit of aging eyesight that prevents me from noticing my nose and ear hair. I don't believe in anything I can't see.

The new user enjoys furry views.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My nose and ear hair is grey, so I am sure nobody else notices it. Mrs. QIII seems to disagree.

I am also told the bald spot on the back of my head is getting quite large, but I don't care because I still sport a short military hair cut I can't see it anyway.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Who here remembers the early Casio calculators? My first example was the fx-17 scientific;

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/CasioFX17_1.jpg

I was fascinated by the way that the lower half of the last digit flickered in and out all by itself as it was running a calculation; I thought at the time it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

Later on, around 'A'-level time, I went through a whole series of the more advanced CBM calculators, including a P50, the programmable model. I was always attracted by the little red LEDs, and to a certain extent the green fluorescent ones; never had a lot of time for LCDs.

My old man had one of the very early Pulsar Mark 2 LED watches, which he paid better than £1300 for; and for that, you got time in hours + mins...and the date. This was what led to my own subsequent obsession with LED watches, to the point where I have quite a collection (some still working, some not), and my current, day-to-day one

http://www.led-watch.com/usspace.htm

is a modern take on the Pulsar, but with redesigned buttons, and a far superior battery life, courtesy of the modern CR2032. The early LED timepieces used to chew those mercury oxide batteries up like they were Smarties..! A friend had the first one in school; everybody wanted to see it work; his first set of batteries were flat in about 48 hrs...

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; August 24th, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

I considered myself a veteran why I finally quit asking "users" what OS/Version they had before I agreed to fix their system, as I realized it doesn't matter.

A veteran will "look within" for the solution (man, READMEs, etc...).
    A veteran will "read twice and execute once".
    A "user" doesn't know the difference between a console and a terminal.
    A "user" can only function with a GUI (desktop).
    Veterans only need a console. The desktop doesn't matter.
    "Users" only know "one way" to get any given task done.
    A veteran understands there are many ways to skin a cat.
    Death drives an Airflow Chrysler on the streets of man
    A hit and run driver cruising since the world began

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345