Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sh file (I think it's actually a binary) can't open xterm

Beans

Re: sh file (I think it's actually a binary) can't open xterm

Well, I had to reload Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and now I'm back at the xterm error. I can only believe it's a difference between 12.xx and 14.xx that allows you to do it but I have the problem. So I tried doing the link again and now it won't let me. Why?
    Code:
    me@me-Studio-1735:~$ sudo link /lib/terminfo /usr/share/terminfo
    link: cannot create link ‘/usr/share/terminfo’ to ‘/lib/terminfo’: Operation not permitted
    me@me-Studio-1735:~$
    As far as I can remember this is exactly what I did with the previous install of 14.04 64-bit on this laptop.

Beans

... you should probably be creating a symlink

Code:
    sudo ln -s /lib/terminfo /usr/share/terminfo
    FWIW you can see what's in the deb.sh file using

Code:
    strings lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh | less -N
    - it's a ~300 line shell script followed by a big blob of binary data. I'm not sure how much you will be able to learn from that, but take a look.

Beans

Thanks - adding the -s to make it symbolic did the trick.

When the installation says it failed, but before closing the gui, I'm able to copy the folder that the file extracted it's contents to and copy that folder so I can save it. Having done so, I read in another thread (which of course I can't find again yet ) where a lexmark engineer had given the instructions on how to capture that folder, then use tar to recreate the .deb - in that case to supposedly allow for 64-bit ubuntu. The tar statement doesn't really list the files, etc., anywhere, but instead points to a file, instarchive_all, which apparently must contain the instructions or whatever to tar to build the .deb. That's the file I can't seem to open in an editor either. I'm assuming the header definitions, etc., are in that "control file", and since the installation process is complaining about the headers, I thought I'd try to see if I could change that somehow.

Mind you, I'm a newbie and don't know what the heck I'm doing! I'm just trying things that come to mind but perhaps none of it makes any sense and I shouldn't be doing it?

Thanks again for your help.

Beans

I just found reference to at least part of that post I can't find:

sudo ./lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh --noexec --target lexmark

extracts the contents to the folder "lexmark" and doesn't try to execute the script.

cd lexmark
    tar xvf instarchive_all --lzma
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb

I did notice that instarchive_all is a huge file as well, so I'm not sure what it is.

I'm probably WAY off base here since I don't know what I'm doing, so don't be afraid to say so - I'm just learning!

BTW - here's the thread that gave me the idea that there is something inside o instarchive_all that is the actual driver and could somehow be loaded to ubuntu:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-294123.html
    Last edited by dave131; August 21st, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

I think I found a solution!!! Kept searching the net and found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/71424...rinter-working

Since I didn't want to go through the stuff in step 3, I just followed the download link and got the file. Then this appeared to work:
    Code:
    me@me-Studio-1735:~/Downloads$ ls
    lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.tar.gz
    New-lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.deb
    selfgz5750
    me@me-Studio-1735:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i New-lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.deb
    [sudo] password for me: 
    Selecting previously unselected package lexmark-08z-series-driver.
    (Reading database ... 211375 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack New-lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.deb ...

--------------------------
    Installing 08z-series-driver ...
    --------------------------
    Unpacking lexmark-08z-series-driver (1.0-1) ...
    Setting up lexmark-08z-series-driver (1.0-1) ...
       -- Updating symbolic links
    Apparmor cupsd exception done.

Installation Complete.
    --------------------------------------------

Please remember to review the license agreement (license.txt)
    at /usr/lexinkjet/08zero/docs/ before using this software.

me@me-Studio-1735:~/Downloads$
    So, if it looks like it worked to you, I'll post some instructions back in the original thread to see if it helps the user there. I've seen remarks on the web in my research that indicate this is a common driver to a lot of lexmark inkjets, and I believe a lot of Dell printers are also just rebranded Lexmarks, so it will be interesting to see.

Thanks for the help!

Beans

Great news!! The user in the other post said this worked great and they have it working both via USB and via wireless!! They said they've been trying to get this to work for 2 years!

Perhaps a link to the above thread in askubuntu might be appropriate for Lexmark/Dell older inkjets?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123