Thread: Ubuntu Windows version prepared from MAC? UBUNTU 14.04.1 LTS

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu Windows version prepared from MAC? UBUNTU 14.04.1 LTS

Have an old Toshiba that I would want to put Ubuntu on... Very old and slow. How can I use a 64bit MAC to download the correct UBUNTU... the download recognizes that I am presently working on a MAC. I would want the install to launch from a CD or a dedicated USB drive. How can this be accomplished? Guidance sought

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Windows version prepared from MAC? UBUNTU 14.04.1 LTS

I'd suggest going with the latest release of either Lubuntu or Xubuntu, considering the age of the machine you're going to install on.

The Ubuntu website has instructions on how to create a bootable USB stick on Mac:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-mac-osx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All the versions are here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/.

If a specific Mac version is offered, you will see it. You want the "64-bit PC (AMD64) Desktop Image".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Didn't he say he wants to download the iso on a mac but install on an old toshiba? That's what i read...

If that is the case, download the iso for either 32 bit or 64 bit PC (depending on what your toshiba has) and burn it on the mac as an iso image...then set your toshiba to boot off a cd/dvd in the bios settings, and when you restart in will boot into the live session where you can see how it will work on your toshiba and if it is running well, then you can go ahead and install if you wish by clicking on the "install ubuntu" icon on the live desktop (either dual booting with windows or have it wipe off windows)...

If unity runs too sluggish, then you can consider putting on xubuntu or lubuntu instead...depends on the specs of your toshiba...
    When you select the version you want on the ubuntu site, select either 64 bit or 32 bit from the drop down menu...don't select the mac one since you are not going to be using it on your mac but on a windows computer...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 19th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Didn't he say he wants to download the iso on a mac but install on an old toshiba?
    Right. The Mac versions say "MAC", The PC versions don't.