Thread: Can't install Samba

Beans

Can't install Samba

Hello,

I get an error message when trying to install Samba.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how can I solve this problem?
    Thanks.

I am using 11.10 but will update as soon as I can back-up my data using wifi (USB ports don't work).

In terminal, when I type sudo apt-get install samba I get the following output:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    libutouch-geis1
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    Suggested packages:
    openbsd-inetd inet-superserver smbldap-tools ldb-tools
    The following NEW packages will be installed
    samba
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 7,990 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 23.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    samba
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main samba i386 2:3.5.11~dfsg-1ubuntu2.3
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.153 80]
    Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main samba i386 2:3.5.11~dfsg-1ubuntu2.3
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.153 80]
    Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...tu2.3_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.153 80]
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't install Samba

Ubuntu 11.10 went end-of-life May 2013 I believe, and that's probably why you can't reach the repos.

I'd recommend installing a supported Ubuntu version (like 14.04) and then setting up Samba.

Beans

Thanks ubudog.
    Although your suggestion is a simple way to fix the problem, I am reluctant to install any newer version of Ubuntu until I can back-up my hard drive.
    And, because my computer will not detect any external drives, I am looking for other ways to do a back-up. Using wifi via Samba is one option.
    As yet I am not aware of any other method...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have another Linux box, you could back up your data to it using rsync. On the other Linux box, just set up an ssh server (openssh-server package in Ubuntu), and copy your data on over.

Connecting the two computers by Ethernet would be ideal, as doing this over wifi will take much longer.

A simple command to backup your home directory would be:
    Code:
    rsync -av --progress /home user@ipaddress:/backup/
    As always, make sure your backup is there and works before deleting anything.

Hope that helps you!