Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would i install a password at startup

Beans

How would i install a password at startup

Hi

I have to put my laptop into a repair shop but when i switch on my machine it just starts. I would like to have a password so the repair shop can't access my machine as i have business data i would like to protect. How would i install a password so nobody can view my data.

Thanks

Beans

Re: How would i install a password at startup

I have to put my laptop into a repair shop but when i switch on my machine it just starts.
    Are you using windows? If you are using a Linux system such as Ubuntu you need to create a user password during the installation. Did you change that to auto-login? If so, change it back. If you are using Ubuntu or some other version of Linux, indicate which it is and the release. On 14.04, you can do that in System Settings, User Accounts.

Another option would be to encrypt the data. Or ask then to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Or you could take the computer to someone you trust.
    Last edited by yancek; August 19th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you have auto-login set up? You can set a BIOS password on most computers, and you can set a GRUB password as well.

Even if you turn auto-login off, if someone really wants your data they can get it if it is not encrypted.
    Here is a good article you can follow if you would like to encrypt your home directory so that your data stays encrypted as long as you are not logged in:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-...alling-ubuntu/

Beans

Hi Guys

Thanks for such a speedy reply.

No i don't use windows i have been with Ubuntu since Dapper was releasted. I am now using 14.04

At my last clean install i didn't set a password at startup and that's my problem.

Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you automatically log in?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At my last clean install i didn't set a password at startup and that's my problem.
    Please explain how you did that. I regularly install test versions of Ubuntu and the flavours and I am always asked to put in

1) my name
    2) a user name
    3) a machine name
    4) and a password repeated twice to confirm accuracy.

There is a box that is ticked by default that says Require password to login. Or something like that. I did not know that an install of Ubuntu could proceed without a user password.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There are folder and drive encryption tools available for Lunux . The Seahorse Nautilus Plugins are one option but I have no experience with encryption in Linux other than email. I tend to use cloud storage for easy access from different computers.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Hi Grahammechanical

I don't know what i did but when i use the terminal it asks for a password but not at startup. When i switch on it just goes to my desktop screen. What i want is when i switch on i am asked for a password.

Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Under your "User Account" settings, there should be a way to turn automatic login off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would advise against turning auto-login off I you do not know the password as you will not be able to login at the next reboot.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast