Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when I close the lid kde behaves in a strange way..

Beans

when I close the lid kde behaves in a strange way..

hello everybody!!..
    I'm using kubuntu 14.04 on my new MSI laptop.. but I have a problem:
    every time I close the lid, after five minutes or more my desktop behaves in a weird way.. sometimes my widgets change position, sometimes some applications start, some windows re-size, or kde changes workspace..
    but nothing serious, till the last two times I closed the lid for about 15 minutes -- my computer turned off!!.. I have the power button on the kde-panel, it's like the mouse moves by its own over the icon and clicks it.. but I got no mouse!!..
    anyway here is a screenshot of my desktop, if it's useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3y...it?usp=sharing

can anyone understand what's the problem with my laptop??.. it seems possessed!!.. ò.ò
    thank you very much!!..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: when I close the lid kde behaves in a strange way..

Hi ollylove,

By default KDE is set to restore your previous session which might explain this behaviour.
    Look at systemsettings -> startup & shutdown -> session management -> and use "empty session".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you certain the laptop is suspending when you close the lid?

On the other hand, if it is not suspending when the lid is closed, heat will not dissipate correctly, the machine will eventually overheat, and that may trigger a shutdown.

It's also possible, I suppose, for something physical to be interfering. E.g., a loose keycap that's in contect with the screen when the lid is closed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bra|10n View Post
    Hi ollylove,

By default KDE is set to restore your previous session which might explain this behaviour.
    Look at systemsettings -> startup & shutdown -> session management -> and use "empty session".
    I already set up my configurations at the beginning (empty session) and this doesn't seem to be the problem.. nor the power settings are the problem, since I set "no action" when the lid is closed..

Are you certain the laptop is suspending when you close the lid?

On the other hand, if it is not suspending when the lid is closed, heat will not dissipate correctly, the machine will eventually overheat, and that may trigger a shutdown.

It's also possible, I suppose, for something physical to be interfering. E.g., a loose keycap that's in contect with the screen when the lid is closed.
    ahm, sorry, I'm not very expert about hardware, but I'm sure the laptop was turned off, not suspending..

but it already happened once before: I closed the lid and after some minutes I re-opened it and the power options window was appearing.. you know, if you don't choose a shutdown/suspend/restart option in 60 seconds the system will shut down, automatically.. I was lucky that time, I arrived soon and had time to close the window.. but those last two times I came late and it shut down..

sorry, I'm not sure I explained me clearly, I don't know how to explain it..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it isn't suspending, or anything else, due to opting for 'No Action', then that leaves open the possibilibity of a heat buildup when the lid is closed, which triggers a shutdown.

I've seen the power option window appear on resume from suspend, as well as the "This system is about to suspend" message that appears a minute or so before a system times out to suspend.

The business of shutting down after 15 minutes may or may not be related to the window movement you noticed. Do you see windows actually move, or are they just in a different place?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The business of shutting down after 15 minutes may or may not be related to the window movement you noticed. Do you see windows actually move, or are they just in a different place?
    you mean after I reopened the lid??.. no, nothing moves while I open the lid or immediately after, I only find the widgets in a different place on the desktop or a current window resized from the full-width..
    but I managed to stop my widgets moving by setting "lock objects" on the desktop.. they don't move anymore, now just the power window pops up..
    but if I leave my laptop with open lid - for some minutes, for one hour, for the whole day - nothing happens..

maybe a screenshot could help.. do you want me to try and take a screenshot before and after I close the lid, in order to see what changes and how??.. hopping it doesn't shut down again!!..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The typical default mode in laptops is to suspend when the lid is closed. If you've disabled that by opting for "No Action", then keeping the lid closed while the machine continues to operate normally will reduce heat dissipation. Many systems will shutdown if the hardware temperatures exceed a certain threshold. Since you say your system shuts down 15 minutes after closing the lid, perhaps overheating is occuring.

Beans

yes, it could be for little old laptops.. but my own one is two months old, is very large (17.3"), with two cooler fans and I don't think this is the point.. it never shut down before, since there were my widgets and my possessed system preferred them to move, instead of shutting down.. but now that's the only thing it does..
    anyway, I said 15 minutes, but it could be 10 or even 5.. probably if I remove the power icon from the panel my system won't shut down anymore.. but I think it keeps on resizing the windows or open some applications from the icons on the panel..
    let's see what happens if I remove the power icon..

Beans

ok, I'm and idiot, I forgot to remove the icon.. but I took a screenshot before and after closing the lid.. here is before:

and here's after:

you see??.. the ubuntuforums tab was closed and your message was searched with google.. and the calendar appears, like when you click on the digital clock..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What exactly does this mean in plain english?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast