Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox in Trusty problems

Beans

Virtualbox in Trusty problems

I upgraded from 12.04.5 x64 to 14.04.1 x64. Although my Vbox kernel module was generated, and I could launch my XP VM, the screen is not being managed correctly. For example, when I launch the VM, the screen comes up and odd characters appear before the XP logon screen. When I login, the screen is drawn very slowly, and the icons on the start bar do not show descriptions when I mouse over them. If I click on the Start button, only part of the menu shows. If I move my mouse pointer over that menu, it will eventually fill in. If I try to move an open window, trails of the window are left on the screen. There are many other issues. My version of Virtualbox is 4.3.10, the one supplied in Trusty. My vbox-install.log only contains one entry
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 334: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: not found
    The problem with this is the only folder in /usr/share/virtualbox is nls.

I have removed and reinstalled Virtualbox to no avail. The modules installed are
    • virtualbox
    • virtualbox-qt
    • virtualbox-guest-additions.iso
    • virtualbox-dkms

I also installed virtualbox-extension-pack (for 4.3.10) from the Virtualbox web site.

Is there a known problem, or what am I missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualbox in Trusty problems

Thread moved to the "Virtualisation" forum.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would suggest you use the latest version of VBox 4.3.14 from Oracle https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads by scrolling down on that page to the Debian-based Linux distributions section and adding the repos to your software sources as shown there. You should also add the same version of the guest-additions which is also available from that Oracle site.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I would suggest you use the latest version of VBox 4.3.14 from Oracle https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads by scrolling down on that page to the Debian-based Linux distributions section and adding the repos to your software sources as shown there. You should also add the same version of the guest-additions which is also available from that Oracle site.
    Removed Virtualbox 4.3.10 and insstalled 4.3.14. Updated the extension pack. Same problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Let's see if you are in all the right groups for VB to run properly and allow sharing of folders etc etc.
    Run command groups in terminal and report back the output. It should contain vboxusers
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Yes, I am a member of vboxusers as well as vboxsf and many others.

I too have 128 MB for Graphics and 2 GB for Memory. My Display in Preferences was initially set to Automatic, but I have set my display in preferences to None and have entered many different resolutions. Some seem to work better than others, but they all have the same problems: trails, partial windows, slow response.

Beans
    Hidden!

In that case I am baffled; sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try turning off 3D acceleration for the VM in Settings if it is enabled.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I just noticed the following in my Vbox.log:
    Code:
    00:00:00.328990 Guest OS type: 'WindowsXP'
    00:00:00.330544 crCtlSubmit failed -37
    00:00:00.349679 fHMForced=true - 64-bit guest
    My XP is 32 bit, and I have set Version on the Basic Tab of Settings = Windows XP (32 bit). Could this be causing my problem? If so, what is making Virtualbox force a 64 bit VM?

Edit: My Ubuntu host is 64 bit.
    Last edited by cscj01; August 17th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try turning off 3D acceleration for the VM in Settings if it is enabled.
    Did not have it enabled, although I have tried it both ways. Seems to make no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast