Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Temperature monitoring of overheating PC

Beans

Temperature monitoring of overheating PC

My PC is apparently overheating. It shuts down instantly without warning. It did this often with Lubuntu 13.10; I just upgraded to Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and it has done it a few times as well. I am afraid too high a temperature may damage the PC.

It seems to be running pretty hot to the touch underneath the PC. I used Fedora 14 for years, and I don't remember it doing this. I don't remember it doing this with Windows XP either.

QUESTION: What is the best way to monitor temperatures in the PC while using Lubuntu 14.04 LTS?

I am dual booting Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and Windows XP.

QUESTION: Can I compare the temps while using Lubuntu 14.04 LTS with temps while running Windows XP?

I read some stuff online that seemed to indicate that fan drivers in Lubuntu may not work well for my PC. My PC is a Toshiba Satellite L25-S1216 Laptop. Other than trying to clean dust out of the PC and maybe working with the software that runs the fans, I am not sure what else to do. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Temperature monitoring of overheating PC

Hello!

The easiest way to monitor is in a terminal.

You will first want to install lm-sensors

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    Then go through

Code:
    sudo sensors-detect
    In the terminal:

Code:
    watch -n 2 sensors
    Which will update every two seconds (replace the 2 with another increment if you want).

There is also gkrellm, which is available in the repos. If you want to go high-speed, you can start messing around with conky and end up with something crazy like this:

screensnap30.jpg
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I use Psensor - low overhead, easily configurable, temps can trigger pop-up notifications, nice graphing (visually see how long your CPU can go at 100% before the temp gets too high, for example). If your CPU is overheating, then make sure you minimize the impact of whatever app you choose by lowering the update frequency to something like every 3 seconds.

Beans

Might also wanna look at this article in case your fan is in need of some TLC.

Beans

Thank you Qlll and Ape,

Is there any way to monitor fan performance?

Is there any way to monitor temps in Windows XP, to see if this is an operating system problem or a PC problem? The article Ape cited suggests a Windows temp monitoring software called MotherboardMonitor. Some stuff I've read suggests that Ubuntu has some problems with fan control for certain kinds of PCs, but the factory Windows OS does not because the PC was designed for the Windows OS. Any comments on this?

Any suggestions as to determine if dust build up in the PC is a/the problem and how to deal with dust?

Thanks,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; August 15th, 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

sensors should pick up whatever is made available by your motherboard.

From sensors:

Code:
    fan1:        1266 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
    For Windows, speedfan is freeware. It monitors temps, voltages, fan speeds, etc.
    Last edited by QIII; August 15th, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks again Qlll and Ape,

I installed lm-sensors, P sensor and Gkrellm. What I get from lm-sensors (as a 2 second read) is below. It appears to be just one temp, temp1 (there is, for example, no info about fans). From P sensor there is again, just one temp, temp1 and also % CPU usage. (P sensor also does have max temp and CPU usage and graph capability.) Temp1 in lm-sensors and P sensor looks the same. So it looks like the motherboard just has a temp1 sensor. I still have to figure out how to use Gkrellm. I read somewhere to remove the battery, I did that and I think may be helping.

QUESTION: The readout from lm-sensors says 110 C is the critical temperature. Does that mean the PC will shut down at 110 C?

Temp1 seems to be leveling out at about 85 C, but that is with pretty low demand on the CPU.

Any other comments or suggestions you or anybody else has would be welcomed.

lm-sensors readout:

Every 2.0s: sensors Fri Aug 15 11:15:37 2014

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +86.0°C (crit = +110.0°C)

Again, thank you so much

R.

Beans

According to the specs on Toshiba's site for your laptop, you only have a single core CPU so that's fine (Toshiba apparently skimped on a zoned temp sensor [ed: I was probably wrong about this, see next message], but I don't know how useful that'd really be anyway - mine's consistently lower than the CPU temp by a handful of degrees). What I find odd is the "Crit" temp is 10°C above Intel's own specs for that CPU (thermal stuff is at the end) which say the design max is 100°C and that the CPU will shut down (presumably just stop working entirely) at 125°C.

Kinda suprised even at those specs because 100°C is the boiling point of water and extremely hot - there must be some significant cooling going on in that laptop to make it usable on, well... a lap top. Mine is similarly spec'd to yours (slightly older, I think), but uses an AMD CPU and it usually tops out at 73°C CPU temp when going full bore.

Regardless, if you continue having heat-related shutdown issues, maybe your laptop's heat sink isn't making as good a connection as it used to (due to being tossed around, maybe) or perhaps the fan on the heat sink needs some attention. There's plenty of info on the web about thermal paste, heat sinks, etc. or get a decent repair shop to check it for you. I've even seen people who expanded their laptop's thermal dissipation using thermal pads and aluminum foil, but you've really gotta know what you're doing there or you'll likely short something out and cause bigger problems.
    Last edited by Sanctimonious_Ape; August 15th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Beans

Some further thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    Temp1 seems to be leveling out at about 85 C, but that is with pretty low demand on the CPU.
    That seems rather high for idle to me. What do you get when idle in Windows? If about the same, then that lends credence to a heat sink/fan issue. Until you get this sorted, you could also try setting "powersave" mode as described here although that will make your laptop run more slowly but should keep your hardware safe(r) until the thermal issue is tackled. You might also experiment with the other modes listed to see how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    lm-sensors readout:

Every 2.0s: sensors Fri Aug 15 11:15:37 2014

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +86.0°C (crit = +110.0°C)
    Just noticed that it says "acpitz" - on my laptop that indicates the "thermal zone" sensor which is NOT the CPU sensor, but instead one located elsewhere on the motherboard. If that's truly the case, then you do indeed have a problem and should get it looked into before you destroy the CPU (which the paranoia freak in me says might already be happening and is why you're not getting a proper CPU temperature, but it may just be a bug with your particular laptop). Also, if Linux can't read the CPU temp properly, then it's probably not driving the fan properly due to that fact.

I'd definitely get on checking your laptop's temp under Windows straight away and decide what to do from there. I couldn't find any info specific to your laptop, Linux, and fan issues, so it may well be a hardware cooling problem.
    Last edited by Sanctimonious_Ape; August 15th, 2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Fix wrong CPU mode, other thoughts

Beans

Thanks, I am educating myself about disassembly, cleaning of dust,thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink (Arctic Silver seems popular,) etc. May also take it to somebody.

R.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast