Quote Originally Posted by mariskaoldtina View Post
Thanks a lot for the info, especially knowing that the settings won't be saved. I'll play around with xrandr more tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to find the correct command to tweak the screen. Seems like there are so many control options for the display, so there should be something in there that I'm looking for. I'll post later on if I figure it out.

I did try the Alt + drag, and it did not move anything. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.
I figured it out - at least for my setup. I found out I had to use a combination of 2 settings for xrandr. One to "reset" the resolution to a smaller size, and one to "adjust" the top left corner to the proper spot:

Code:
xrandr --output HDMI2 --fb 1240x700 --transform 1,0,-20,0,1,-10,0,0,1
So to read into the command, the --fb switch, resizes the resolution of the framebuffer down to shrink the output, but the resolution sent out to the TV is still 1280x720. And the --transform switch moves the top left corner from beyond the edge of the TV down to the visible part of the TV.

Note that the numbers I have are different than the ones found googling the overscan subject. Apparently my TV's overscan is approximately 20 pixels on the sides, and 10 pixels at the top and bottom. So the framebuffer is reduced by 40 width and 20 height.

Using xrandr this way eliminated the issue where the mouse cursor would think the edge of the screen wasn't wide enough when using the --scale switch, or other combinations I tried.

To make this change permanent, I created it as a simple script, placed it in /etc/lightdm/ and set it as "session-setup-script" in lightdm.conf. Note, I tried many combinations of greeter-setup-script and display-setup-script and both of them would cause issues, so I think these switches are broken in respect to using them to modify the display.

This machine is also running XBMC from an XBMC session, so I was able to use XBMC's alignment tools to make the adjustments for it when I'm using it instead of a LXDE or Unity session.

HTH!