Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card on Dell Mini

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card on Dell Mini

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Evidently, no connection attempt was made at all as per the script. It might have given us some hints if you could run the script AFTER attempting a connection. But let's move forward with what 'should' work -

In Network Connection settings,

1) Under "Wireless" tab, click "Add" > put your AP's SSID in "SSID" field under "Wireless" tab (leave the rest at defaults)
    2) Under "Wireless Security" tab, select the correct security type and fill in the required information correctly. All the listed APs in your report are either WPA/WPA2 Personal networks or 'Enterprise' networks of the same kind. Choose the security type accordingly.
    3) Leave the remaining two tabs (IPv4 and IPv6 Settings) at defaults or set them as Hadaka showed in his screenshots.
    4) Make sure "Connect Automatically" and "Available to all users" checkboxes are checked.
    5) Save > Close > Try to connect > report back the result with a fresh wireless_script report if it still fails.

If the description above doesn't match what you see in your Network Connections settings boxes, please post their screenshots.
    If you are not sure about the security settings, please tell us which of the listed Access-Points (in the report above) you are trying to connect to.
    Success! Thanks guys : ] I don't have a wireless connection icon but I can connect using the wlan0 icon in the "manage networks" panel applet. Fyi IPv4 and IPv6 are at defaults, I haven't set them as Haduka showed.

Beans

Glad it worked, finally.

If you need help with something else (regarding the same problem of course), please feel free to ask.

If you are satisfied with the current solution, please mark the thread as [SOLVED] using "Thread Tools" link above the top post.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Glad it worked, finally.

If you need help with something else (regarding the same problem of course), please feel free to ask.

If you are satisfied with the current solution, please mark the thread as [SOLVED] using "Thread Tools" link above the top post.
    Yes varunendra, I'm delighted : D It's been a bit of a nightmare without wireless.. I'm just wondering if there is a way to get the wireless connection/network manager icon back, as I tried the fix at http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/fix-l...k-manager.html which didn't work for me. Also, to connect to other wireless networks will I need to keep adding/creating wireless connections?

Beans

Please open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), and try to run 'nm-applet' from there -
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Does it bring up the Network Manager icon (it is called "nm-applet" icon by the way) in the notification area?

If not, you should see the error message in the terminal. Post back what it is.

PS:
    If we can get the nm-applet up and running, you shouldn't need to manually add connection settings for new connections.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Please open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), and try to run 'nm-applet' from there -
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Does it bring up the Network Manager icon (it is called "nm-applet" icon by the way) in the notification area?

If not, you should see the error message in the terminal. Post back what it is.

PS:
    If we can get the nm-applet up and running, you shouldn't need to manually add connection settings for new connections.
    No sign of the icon varunendra, here's the error message:

Code:
    steve@steve-Inspiron-910:~$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:2806): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-qu15cEFK00: Connection refused
    nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

Beans
    Hidden!

You need to remove the wired connection for the wireless icon to show
    unplug the ethernet cable and boot
    is the wireless showing now?
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    You need to remove the wired connection for the wireless icon to show
    unplug the ethernet cable and boot
    is the wireless showing now?
    The Ethernet cable was unplugged Hadaka. I've rebooted and tried nm-applet again in the terminal and got:

Code:
    steve@steve-Inspiron-910:~$ nm-applet
    nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon
    It seems to be hanging at the end there i.e. it doesn't go back to steve@steve-Inspiron-910:~$

Beans

Looks like a broken installation to me. Let's try purging and re-installing network-manager package.

Please download the network-manager packages first, while you are connected to internet -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -d --reinstall network-manager network-manager-gnome
    Then purge the whole network-manager package -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager-gnome network-manager
    Reboot, and re-install it from the downloaded packages -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome
    Then retry -
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Still the same error? After a second reboot?
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Looks like a broken installation to me. Let's try purging and re-installing network-manager package.

Please download the network-manager packages first, while you are connected to internet -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -d --reinstall network-manager network-manager-gnome
    Then purge the whole network-manager package -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager-gnome network-manager
    Reboot, and re-install it from the downloaded packages -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome
    Then retry -
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Still the same error? After a second reboot?
    Hi varunendra, I am on a different computer as I am without an internet connection on my netbook atm. I am in the process of reinstalling Lubuntu 14.04 due to that and also some odd file system behaviour.

I don't have the exact output sorry, but when I rebooted and tried to reinstall from the downloaded packages I got a lot of output at the end saying "E: Unable to fetch..." . I then tried nm-applet and got something like "nm-applet can be found in the following packages: *network-manager-gnome *mythbuntu". I rebooted, tried nm-applet again and got the same message.

Can you please advise as to what way to proceed once Lubuntu has been reinstalled? Thanks, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Beans

The same way as suggested previously. If the first command completed without errors, the rest should complete without complains as well. But if the source media that you are installing from is intact, you shouldn't face such problems at all.

If you face the same issues and same errors on the fresh install as before, check your installation media for consistency : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If errors are found, it means your downloaded ISO of Lubuntu is broken itself, in which case, a fresh download would be essential. For downloading ISOs, torrents are recommended to ensure data integrity during the download.
    Varun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast