Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Fortress 2 , horrible FPS

Beans

Team Fortress 2 , horrible FPS

Hi, i just got an Gigabyte R7 250x oc version

it givess like 160fps on windows without vsync and with everything max and

same thing on ubuntu gives me like 15 fps, why is ti like that? when i turn off multisample it gives like 70 fps, which is playable, but i want mutlisample, why is performance so horrible in ubuntu while its good on windows, my card is pwoerfull enough !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Team Fortress 2 , horrible FPS

The R7 250X is an ATI card, and ATI's fglrx drivers for Linux, which you probably have installed, are notoriously lousy drivers, which is why many Linux gamers use nVidia cards.

You may (seriously) get better results by removing the ATI drivers and using the open-source radeon driver, which, according to posts I've seen on the Steam forums, frequently works better than the fglrx driver.

Fox example, Painkiller:Hell and Damnation, which ran for me on the first day with nVidia, had a raft of frustrated ATI users who waited over a month for ATI to get its act together and put out drivers which would work with that game.

Just sayin'. I would try the radron driver, and remove the fglrx.

Also, the Unity interface is pretty heavyweight; many Linux gamers install LXDE, which uses far fewer resources, for gaming.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

i read somewher they are same,

i got flrx-update drivers instead of stock opensrouce + catclyst and now i get 100 - 120, on same map and setting im getting only 20 lower only, which i never get under 80 which is good, but now i get these weird glitech, on game specially, i get telepored backward for a second, and i get lag Spikes, i tought amd is better because of its opensrouce stuff thats so bad, if i knew this i spent 40=50$ more for nvidia, or got an gtx 650

i notice my Ubuntu Gui is even laggy, a little, and SO teary, the setting in catacyst helped, but anyway im so disapointed;( my 7750 wasn't like that at all! (sapphire)
    Last edited by kamhagh; August 7th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have seen people swear that the radeon drivers (which have been developed with ATI's help, for what that's worth) are superior to fglrx, but I remain an nVidia guy.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

omg this is horrile, i cant belivce this, i spent 150$ on a graphics card which can't even work with unity and lags like hell, tf2 ppl slow down and screen get freez like and weird stuff happen, this is horrible, i can't belive this, my tf2 is totaly unplayable even at min setting ! let me try another drivers,,,, i can't velive this, i only needed 20$ for 750 ti but i saved it !

im donwloading another driver,

a litte not: my fps is 60fps when i get the weird slowing, sometimes my background flashes for 100ms,

also it takes soooo long to open tf2 but much less than windows to join servers, takes long to be able to choose class !
    Last edited by kamhagh; August 7th, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

check out the oibaf ppa for the most recent version of the radeonsi driver. If it's not to late you should return your AMD based card and get an equivalent priced Nvidia card, maybe the Nvidia 750ti IF you're serious about gaming in linux. Sadly AMD is lagging behind in the driver department.

Beans
    Hidden!

R7 250X is renamed HD 7770. If your HD 7750 worked well, R7 250X should also with the same drivers, because it's the same chip (Cape Verde). Also, the card is only 25% faster than HD 7750, so don't expect miracles.

Beans

I actually only changed it because it died, i didn't have performance issues,
    New drivers dont have weird slow down, bit gives 30 or 60 fps, they wont accept it because oc performance they'll telll me you should have known!!! Im gonna hunt the person told me nvidia and amd have both good drivers!!! I will try the drivers you mentioned when i get home, i can't believe this

Wasted 300mb of data and stayed awake. Till 4 am to find out they're horrible too

Beans

can you tell me which version to download ???(not amd ones, opensrources you mentioned) amd side is forbidden for be i currently have and had (flrx-update) the 13.4 version. maybe beta will help?

i will never buy amd again, even if it means i should buy GTX titan for playing packman xD

Beans
    Hidden!

Before doing anything with the drivers, please take a screenshot of your Catalyst Control Center -> Information and upload it here. It should look like something below:

kwin_fps.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast