Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow Operation Lubuntu on USB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Slow Operation Lubuntu on USB

I have seen that it is better to use ext4 and turn journal off than to use ext2, but do not know details.

This post has an example of mounting a tmp in fstab, thread is on SSD, but some of same things apply.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12029006
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Slow Operation Lubuntu on USB

Hi.

I have taken a look to that thread. There, an user said that person had moved the Mozilla Firefox cache onto /tmp, but I would rather create two tmpfs: one for /tmp and another for the cache of Firefox. I think it has not disadvantages since the tmpfs only take up the space which their files fill. And you can control the permissions better.

I mean, one can create a tmpfs for the cache of Firefox whose owner is the standard user instead of the root and restrict the permissions. For instance, if you only had one user and wanted to mount the tmpfs onto a hidden folder, which must be create earlier, in its home for the cache of Firefox whose default maximum weight is 350 MiB, you might open the /etc/fstab with leafpad as root and write:

Code:
    tmpfs /home/user/.anchor_folder tmpfs defaults,size=352m,mode=0770,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
    I do not know if choosing just a size of 350 MiB is a good idea or might cause problems, so I wrote a few MiB more.

If you want to know an user's id and group id, you can run:
    Code:
    id user's_name
    "mode=0770" set xrw permissions for the owner and group which is written at the gid option. If you wanted to limit the permission even more, you could try mode=0700 and could check if Firefox can use that folder as cache by entering about:cache.

You may also include noatime among the options if you consider it better. I do not know if it improves the performance safely.
    noatime
    Do not update inode access times on this filesystem (e.g., for faster access on the news spool to speed up news servers).
    In order to tell Firefox to use a folder as cache you have to follow this KB of MozillaZine.

In the thread which oldfred has linked, there is a post with several folders which one could move onto a tmpfs and how to write the lines in /etc/fstab, more or less. However, I had read /var/tmp may contain files needed after a reboot so as to complete updates. You'd better look for more information.

And remember to run
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    after saving the /etc/fstab file to ensure you have not written any mistakes which would prevent Linux from starting.
    Last edited by LubLearner; August 13th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12