Thread: Kernel issues

Beans

Kernel issues

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu server 14.04 edition on a dedicated machine. After few days i saw (using Logwatch) in server's logs the following entries:
    Code:
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 128M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 1G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -512M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 256M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 2G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -1536M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 32M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 512M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 128K chunk_size: 64M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 16M chunk_size: 2G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -1010M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 16M chunk_size: 64M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 128M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 1G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -512M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 256M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 2G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -1536M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 32M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 512M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 1M chunk_size: 64M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 128M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 1G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -512M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 256M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 2G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -1536M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 32M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 512M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 256K chunk_size: 64M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -18M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 2M chunk_size: 128M num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -16M 
    2 Time(s): *BAD*gran_size: 2M chunk_size: 1G num_reg: 10 lose cover RAM: -512M 
    I have asked from my host provider to replace RAM and update the BIOS, but unfortunately the problem persists.
    Should i worry about the above errors? If yes, is there something to do in order to tackle the above issue?
    Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kernel issues

Hi

I have seen such errors in the past (MTRR-errors) and I would suggest you that you file an Ubuntu kernel bug report - are you aware that you are receiving this error since the last kernel update or does the problem persist since the release of Trusty? You should check your syslog/dmesg log.

- HTH

Beans

Hi,

How do i file a bug report?

-anarchos78

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Could you give us the specs on your machine? I see a couple of MTRR errors reported on Launchpad (but some are old...).

It could be that you need a BIOS/EFI update, you need to change the amount of memory reserved for a GPU, etc.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

To fill a bug report follow the mentioned steps in the wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Bugs

but at first and as QIII mentioned try whether there are BIOS/EFI updates are available and to change the amount of reserved GPU memory (often it helps to lower it) and in case nothing helps fill the bug report.

- HTH
    Last edited by Gyokuro; August 8th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.

Beans

@Gyokuro
    Hi,

Unfortunately the problem still here after BIOS update. I didn't got the GPU memory part. I have installed Ubuntu (v14.04) on a dedicated (rack) machine. I don't think that there is any GPU unit in there (not sure). As for the problem, i have noticed it since the initial installation. I have already installed a newer kernel version: 3.14.0-031400rc6-generic but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Hi

What I mean with the GPU memory is that there is a setting in your BIOS to change the VGA RAM size for the integrated GPU chip - how it's called depends on your board/bios. Does the problem persist if you using a kernel from kernel.org (3.16) as I think you have enough knowledge to compile it yourself and in case the problem remains it's faster to post a bug report at kernel.org (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/). Sorry for no better help but this errors are quite rare.

Beans

OK i will upgrade kernel and see how it goes.