Thread: Data Recovery on 2 tb USB Fantom Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Data Recovery on 2 tb USB Fantom Drive

Windows 8.1 messed up my 2 tb backup drive so I am coming here in hopes that you will be able to help. I am a Ubuntu user, I just installed Lubuntu 14.04 on one of my computers. I play with Ubuntu from time to time and I have noticed that the Ubuntu forums are VERY helpful. Also, I know that there is a lot of free software out there that is available. So here's the problem, I am hoping can get fixed.

I bought a Acer V3 Windows 8.1 laptop. It wanted to do a restore and what it said was that I needed to use a usb drive larger than 16 gigs to save the data too. It did NOT say it would re partition my drive and make it unusable or that I would loose any other data. I went to the Acer support and it was a total waste of my time, because they would not help. They said there was a warning that the data would be removed, but honestly there was no warning. Anyway, I have all my pictures backed up on the drive and now they are gone. I need to recover those pictures. I honestly can care less about anything else on the drive. I went to a win8.1 forum, all they said was to use a re partition tool program or a data recovery program, but both of those only would restore 1 gb unless I purchased the entire program for $69.95.

So now I am turning to the Ubuntu community and asking for your help. Please help me recover the pictures that were lost. Thank you for your understanding and help!!

Beans

Re: Data Recovery on 2 tb USB Fantom Drive

Go to the site below and download testdisk and use it and Photorec which is part of the download to recover your files.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

The page below has documentation and step by step instructions.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you!! I will check it out and let ya know my outcome.........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You didn't say which of the three "restore" options you used with win8, but basically, they are the following:
    If you're having problems with your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. Refreshing your PC reinstalls Windows and keeps your personal files and settings. It also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Windows Store. Resetting your PC reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC. Restoring your PC is a way to undo recent system changes you've made.
    So, if you chose Reset, it did exactly what it was supposed to do.

I went to a win8.1 forum, all they said was to use a re partition tool program or a data recovery program, but both of those only would restore 1 gb unless I purchased the entire program for $69.95.
    This is typically the going rate for Windows data recovery tools.

An alternative Windows data recovery program is Recuva -- and it is free; but my experience in doing data recovery with Windows tools is you get what you pay for -- so, it if doesn't work, don't be surprised.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; July 30th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The one I used said something to the effect that I needed a usb drive larger than 16 gigs to complete the process.............

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Solved. I reformatted the drive and lost everything.......... but it is done and usable now. None of the programs suggested worked to recover my data. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Beans

Don't just back up all your data into one "back up portable hard drive" because if that drive fails, then your buggered, Maybe you should also upload your photos to the cloud and if your really worried about big brother looking upon your photos, lock them in a rar file!